The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   C & A (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13009-c.html)

ref18 Wed Mar 31, 2004 09:16pm

First of all, I just finished my first high school game tonight. Well technically it wasn't a high school game, but it was a tournament with guys in grades 9 and 10. On team A, the captain and "assistant" captain come out to the conference with the letter C and A sewn on their jerseys respectively. (like in a hockey game). Me and my partner (my dad) could not figure out if it was within the rules, so we ruled that they were memorial patches. (A=Alvin, C=Calvin)

Just for clarification, is it within the rules for the Captian and Assistant to wear these letters??

BktBallRef Wed Mar 31, 2004 09:18pm

Where was Theodore? :D

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 31, 2004 09:23pm

Calvin was a chipmunk?

ref18 Wed Mar 31, 2004 09:24pm

Pretty funny :), but i'd like to know if there's a rule about this, just in case i run into this team again.

bigwhistle Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:59pm

There are rules to worry about, and there are rules in the book that you probably don't want to worry about, especially in a noninterscholatic game (fancy way of saying offseason). The uniform rules would fall under the grouping that you probably don't want to worry too much about. It sounds as if you are a fairly new official. Spend your time learning how to call the game itself instead of concentrating on issues that are not essential to officiating. This is just MHO, and many here may be outraged at saying that not every rule needs to be enforced to the max.

ref18 Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:08pm

The main reason i ask is because if i do end up doing sanctioned high school games and encounter this, or it appears on an exam, i know the right answer. I agree with you that common sense says to do nothing about it, after all its making it easier for me find out who the captain is. But i would like to know how the rules apply to this situation.

canuckrefguy Thu Apr 01, 2004 01:45am

Stupid kids, you'd think that by Grade Nine they'd know how to spell "CAT" ;)

rainmaker Thu Apr 01, 2004 01:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
The main reason i ask is because if i do end up doing sanctioned high school games and encounter this, or it appears on an exam, i know the right answer. I agree with you that common sense says to do nothing about it, after all its making it easier for me find out who the captain is. But i would like to know how the rules apply to this situation.
There are rules about what can and can't be on the jersey, and where the cans can be and where they can't. Study rule 3-4. That's rule 3, article 4.

JRutledge Thu Apr 01, 2004 02:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
The reason this is not going to be a big concern, because it would not be wise to hold up a game or give out Ts because something is on the uniform that is not perfect. For example, if the numbers are in the wrong place or not the correct size. There are rules that cover this, but these rules are more for the manufacturer than the officials. Whether the uniform has a letter on it really should not be a concern. If you need to know the rule, study the section for that Juulie pointed out. But I would not hold up a game because they do not meet the very specific qualifications for a legal uniform.

Peace

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 01, 2004 03:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Calvin was a chipmunk?
No, Calvin was a young boy.

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 01, 2004 05:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Calvin was a chipmunk?

Didn't it say above that he was captain of the Chipmunks? :confused:

Nevadaref Thu Apr 01, 2004 06:35am

Quote:

Quote:

Calvin was a chipmunk?

Simon was the 3rd chipmunk.

dblref Thu Apr 01, 2004 06:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Quote:

Calvin was a chipmunk?

And Chuck is the 4th. No, wait a minute, that should be squirrel.:D

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Quote:

Calvin was a chipmunk?

So Simon had an "S"on his jersey? Is that legal?

Jurassic Referee Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
[/B]
Simon was the 3rd chipmunk. [/B][/QUOTE]

And Chuck is the 4th. No, wait a minute, that should be squirrel
[/B][/QUOTE]Here's Chuckie- standing tall (figure of speech).
http://members.rogers.com/worldwar11...el%20funny.jpg