The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   rules question about an old NCAA game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13002-rules-question-about-old-ncaa-game.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:09pm

ESPN classic just showed the 1982 NCAA championship game between North Carolina and Georgetown - MJ and James Worthy vs. Patrick Ewing.

At the end of the game, Worthy was fouled. NC was in the one and one. However, they gave him two shots (he missed the first). There was no violation against Georgetown indicated and none of the players entered the lane on the first shot, so it obviously was a two shot foul. The announcers (Packer, of course) said it must have been an intentional two shot foul, although no intentional signal was given by the officials.

Here's my questions:

1) Did the NCAA have the "double bonus" rule then? If so, that might explain the two shots.
2) If it was an intentional call, since the shots took place with players in the lane, was the "automatic possession" part of the intentional foul rule not in effect at that time?

I'm just trying to figure out why he got two shots instead of one and one.

BTW - it was a real trip watching the game without a 3 point line and with all the players wearing short, tight shorts - and they were pulled up, too!!! Also - Ewing had his "famous" gray t-shirt on under his blue jersey.

rainmaker Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - it was a real trip watching the game ... with all the players wearing short, tight shorts - and they were pulled up, too!!!
Which do you miss more, Mark, wearing those tight shorts, or watching them?

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:37pm

Hey, when I played, we wore long pants. And - the rules were different. For instance, we had a violation for PBI - Peach Basket Interference.

mnref Wed Mar 31, 2004 02:49pm

Did anyone catch Packer talking about the new rules they were thinking about enacting the following year ('83)? I think one was if a game goes into overtime that a player that had fouled out could come back in for the OT and have one more foul. I can't remember the second one off hand

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Mar 31, 2004 03:56pm

Did Billy Packer look any older or younger in that tape? Seems like he hasn't aged much. Of course, when you've been bald forever, well, let me just leave it at that.

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 31, 2004 05:22pm

I happened to be watching a SportsCenter clip with the 45 second shot clock, and it reset on the shot, not when the ball hit the rim.

Anyone know when that changed?

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 31, 2004 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Did Billy Packer look any older or younger in that tape? Seems like he hasn't aged much. Of course, when you've been bald forever, well, let me just leave it at that.
Packer had about half a head of hair, but it was obvious that his forehead was turning into a "five-head".