The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Any thoughts about the travel call at the end of KU/GT. I saw it live and haven't been able to see a replay yet, but I'm not sure where the travel call came from. The player was falling down backwards, but appeared to dribble the ball on the way down. Did anyone else see this and if so why was a travel called?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I saw it, I wasn't totally sure because I couldn't see it very well but it looked like he was dribbling to me. I think it might have been a foul too, but again I didn't get a good view.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

did not see the play, but if he started dribbling on the way down, still a travel. In layman's terms, you have to be dribbling before your pivot foot or both feet move. In falling down, your feet have moved. When falling with the ball, if you weren't dribbling already, you have travelled if you hit the floor and still have the ball in your position..
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:24pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Honestly....

Quote:
Originally posted by thadbrown
Any thoughts about the travel call at the end of KU/GT. I saw it live and haven't been able to see a replay yet, but I'm not sure where the travel call came from. The player was falling down backwards, but appeared to dribble the ball on the way down. Did anyone else see this and if so why was a travel called?
Coulda been a travel, but I think the official got lucky when the dribbler sat. (I believe the whistle went off before the dribbler hit the floor, although replay could prove that thought to be incorrect).

If I were a mind reader, I would say the dribbler caused an illegal screen per case book, but the official thought that there was no way he would be able to explain a TC to National TV, the fans, or the coaches. So, when the dribbler sat, he thought, "I'm going with that!"

Travels can often be used as not-too-hard-to-explain "escape mechanisms" from iffy calls. Few people question a travel with much more than a, "Huh?"

mick

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play either but how often is travel called in college? Not very. I watched the first few trips up and down the floor and I counted 3 times that there was a travel not called. All three of them were the same thing as the players with the ball simply switched their pivot foot all three times. Nothing was called. By rule it is a travel but very seldom, if ever, called.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
I didn't see the play either but how often is travel called in college? Not very. I watched the first few trips up and down the floor and I counted 3 times that there was a travel not called. All three of them were the same thing as the players with the ball simply switched their pivot foot all three times. Nothing was called. By rule it is a travel but very seldom, if ever, called.
I see them called all the time. Especially when a player is really out of control. Not sure I agree with your view on this one.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I see them called all the time. Especially when a player is really out of control. Not sure I agree with your view on this one.

Peace
I do see them called but the majority of the time it is only if a player takes a step before putting the ball on the floor while going to the hole. Not very often do they call it when they switch pivot feet.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
did not see the play, but if he started dribbling on the way down, still a travel. In layman's terms, you have to be dribbling before your pivot foot or both feet move. In falling down, your feet have moved. When falling with the ball, if you weren't dribbling already, you have travelled if you hit the floor and still have the ball in your position..
I can't agree with this. I think you can be falling down without a travel, before you are down. I see players start falling down all the time a pass the ball just before touching the floor. They manage to keep their pivot foot until they pass.

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do see them called but the majority of the time it is only if a player takes a step before putting the ball on the floor while going to the hole. Not very often do they call it when they switch pivot feet.
I see them called all the time. Many times I call them in my mind before they are actually called. I am not saying they are not missed from time to time, but I see them called rather often. But again, I do not know how much basketball you watch.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember him dribbling, but the commentators said he had already dribbled, so it would have been double dribble if not a travel.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I see them called all the time. Many times I call them in my mind before they are actually called. I am not saying they are not missed from time to time, but I see them called rather often. But again, I do not know how much basketball you watch.

Peace
I don't watch it a whole lot. So it is probably not fair to say what I said. I do know however that tonight in the first three or four minutes in the game that two KU and one GT player(s) completely switched their pivot foot(which is by rule a travel) and nothing was called.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yep. Miles had already used up his dribble. If his butt hits the ground before a new dribble, traveling. If the new dribble comes first, double dribble. Donnee Gray was screened by Miles' body, and didn't see the 2nd dribble. Either way, it's a violation, and an excellent call, because Miles created ALL the contact, looking to get bailed out.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

reply to UK/GT travel call

I did see the play and the replay twice. The UK player (A1) with posession dribbled, then stopped his dribble (first mistake). Then, like a deer in headlights, saw a GT defender following closely to a UK teamate - the UK player (A1) stuck out his back end and made contact with the defender who was passing by. The collision caused the offensive player (A1) to fall to the floor. While falling or at the point of contact on the floor, he (A1) released the ball and created a dribble on the left side of his body and then held the ball. The official was standing on the right side of the player and probably didn't see the dribble while on the floor (the live camera shot was blocked as well and the dribble wasn't observed until the replay showed it from a different angle), but it didn't matter since he (A1) already suspended his dribble prior to falling down and when he fell to the floor due to the contact he initiated himself he traveled. I liked the call because something had to be called and it was the most obvious call to make in that situation. He could have called the GT player with a foul for the contact but that would have been pandimonium.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Re: reply to UK/GT travel call

Quote:
Originally posted by revref
... the UK player (A1) stuck out his back end and made contact with the defender who was passing by. The collision caused the offensive player (A1) to fall to the floor. ..... He could have called the GT player with a foul for the contact but that would have been pandimonium.
revref,
Welcome to the forum.
That surely would have caused Pandemonium with UK causing the contact and GT being charged with a foul.
mick
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Bart,

Regarding:

I can't agree with this. I think you can be falling down without a travel, before you are down. I see players start falling down all the time a pass the ball just before touching the floor. They manage to keep their pivot foot until they pass.

I am not sure what you don't agree with.

The sitch I posted is an interpretation straight from the rules. Agree or not does not matter, it is the rule. What you posted has the player passing the ball before hitting the floor. That is a different sitch.