The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 12:05am
In Memoriam

Cool

Playoff semifinals; Loser goes home. 2nd quarter
I'm Lead on endline; good partner is Trail.

A1 dribbles over division line and B1 weakly attempts to get legal guarding position. At 8" away, A1 forearms B1, big collision; Trail (behind) blows whistle.
A1 lightly tosses ball at B1. B1 half tosses ball at A1. (Both 42 year-olds are getting warmed up.)
I blow whistle and whack B1. He's mouthing about the other guy (A1) throwing the ball at him.
I told him I only saw his (B1) toss. He keeps yacking and I tell him, "Take it easy, stay in the game."
Because of the ruckus, partner comes to me and says, we should "T" A1 for thowing the ball at B1. I said go ahead, I didn't see a "T" on A1. Whacked A1.

Double "T"; line 'em U.P. for throwin.
Wait..., partner called a block. I saw PC, he said he only heard about it; didn't see it.
Hmmm. Okay.
We shoot; we throw it in.
We continue.

Only saw one drop of blood.
One more next week.

mick

Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 09:10am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Sounds like the city rec league I work, only the age range is greater than what you have. I mean, I've got 19 year olds going against 50somethings. Not a pretty picture sometimes, and I don't mean for the 50something!
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Sounds like the city rec league I work, only the age range is greater than what you have. I mean, I've got 19 year olds going against 50somethings. Not a pretty picture sometimes, and I don't mean for the 50something!
We may have slowed but we know the tricks!
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
We may have slowed but we know the tricks!
Age and treachery beat youth and skill every time
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 04:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Yeah, try telling that to the young "gunners" who get their rears kicked by the older guys. It usually ends up the younger ones get whacked in this league by myself or my partner. The older ones are too smart to get whacked. But the older ones usually know how to "tease" a younger one when they get whacked, without it crossing the line. Ahhhh, the wonders of wisdom!
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Wisdom does help, but I get sick of hearing,"Come on, you got to give me that call, I'm 50."
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 08:48am
Ref Ump Welsch

Yeah, I've had those comments, but hey, I've had the opposite too. "Hey, ref, I'm the only one that can make that play against these old farts!!!"