The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Where can I get me one of the infamous case books?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

For FED ball? From the same place you got the rule book, or http://www.nfhs.org

For NCAA rules? I don't think there is one. The ARs are included in the rule book.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 01:36am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
For NCAA rules? I don't think there is one.
That is right. There is an illustrated manual (just came out a few weeks ago), that is pretty good. There is also the Simplified& Illustrated Manual for NFHS that is well put together - sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words!

(Now only if we had a *REALLY* simplified and illustrated for coaches, players, and fans! )
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

(Now only if we had a *REALLY* simplified and illustrated for coaches, players, and fans! )
Whomever said, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups," had to have been a basketball official.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is right. There is an illustrated manual (just came out a few weeks ago), that is pretty good.
I did notice a few errors in the NCAA illustrated book, though, so don't use it as your primary reference.

Sorry, I don't have the book with me, so I can't point you to the errors -- it seems they were all near the back.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 11:06am
In Memoriam

For Fans

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Whomever said, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups," had to have been a basketball official.
At one time, recently, NFHS was looking for input about publishing something like that for fans. But it was suggested that fans may be more dangerous, sort of like coaches, if they only knew some of the rules.
It is perhaps better, safer, that they just know nothing.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
For NCAA rules? I don't think there is one.
Simplified& Illustrated Manual for NFHS that is well put together - sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words!
Especially when the picture is wrong!! Take a look at the pic on page 80 regarding rule reference 10-6-2. This picture has caused me more grief because of that little phrase, "one step". I guess lots of refs interpret that to mean that the defense must leave one step in order to have legal gaurding position. This directly contradicts the wording entered below the pic. So the problem is that there aren't a thousand words? I wish they'd take that little phrase "one step" out of the picture.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Casebook

REFEREE Magazine and The National Association of Sports Officials has had a Rules and Casebook out for over 10 years, I got my first one in 1988. It has rule differences between Federation, NCAA Men and Women and Caseplays. It's $9.95, you can order online at http://www.referee.com or call (262)632-8855. This year it's called "Rules For Refs: BASKETBALL '00-01." Check it out!