The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jim Burr's extra whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12771-jim-burrs-extra-whistle.html)

rainmaker Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

I saw him earlier in the year on a 10 second count. He indicated on his fingers, where he was in the count.

Did he use ASL? Or what? I mean, how did he do 6, 7 etc?

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:43am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I saw him earlier in the year on a 10 second count. He indicated on his fingers, where he was in the count.

Reference above - he's Jim Burr - he can count to ten however he pleases! :p

ace Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:54am

The NBA mics are the same, they're one cable but split. I got to see one first hand, they're quite a nice little unit. they split with just enough room to clip it on each side of the color about a 1inch and a half or so from the bottom of the V. Their is a sensitivy control inside the unit that is revealed when opening the battery clip. Naturually its a little high for non-lanyard officials. There is also still a time-keeper who mans the base station incase none of the whistles trigger the device. What I think is cool is that base unit tell you which whistles triggered the devices. So like if you were in a situation where they're was an inadvertant whistle and no one wanted to fess up to it the Referee/Crew Chief could easily goto the base station and see who did it. They're are some high schools that can afford it. One school I was at this year was working on getting a demo unit to see how the district AD liked it.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 01:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
What I think is cool is that base unit tell you which whistles triggered the devices.
Ones I've seen have that, too. Is that the whistle recording you were talking about before? Or is there a separate printout/recording of each and every whistle in the entire game.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 20, 2004 09:53am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
How do they hook the Precision timing to their whistle if they work without the lanyard??
The NBA version has two mics that clip to the shirt collar, instead of one mic the clips to the lanyard.

Interesting - the versions I've worked with had a microphone with a range of less than 2cm. (One ref's mic literally slipped that much and the system wouldn't register the whistle.) My guess is that it still doesn't have a great range, but I'd still be worried about a Fox40 in the stands.

You can adjust the sensitivity. Also, the NBA model is a little more advanced, i.e. better. That's one reason why the NBA version costs over $16,000 while the HS version costs around $2500.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Although i know they tried it once for a football game in my city's stadium. But i don't think they've been used since that one game.

How'd they adopt it for football? Only thing I can think of is using an "on/off" pushbutton switch instead of whistle control - too many dead ball whistles where the clock stays running in football.

The backjudge presses the button and keeps the clock running in situations where it shouldn't stop.

Quote:

Quote:

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

He would start back at 1 for 6, 2 for 7, etc.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:02am

Quote:

[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]Well, doing it that way, he could <b>never</b> get to 10. :rolleyes:

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
Well, doing it that way, he could <b>never</b> get to 10. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't that what the shot clock is for? :p

ref18 Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:35am

In Canadian football the timing rules are a bit different. THe units were only used in the last 3 minutes of each half where the clock stops on every whistle, the only person who didn't use the precision timing was the referee, because a lot of his whistles are for other things besides stopping the clock. I don't think it was that effective, because i haven't heard of them using it since.

dblref Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:29pm

Quote:

None of the high schools in my area have precision timing. And i don't think any of the universities do either.

Although i know they tried it once for a football game in my city's stadium. But i don't think they've been used since that one game.

I used it in a H.S. girls varsity game (northern VA)a couple of years ago and it worked fine. We had a mic clipped in the "V" of the shirt. The HS was thinking about installing a scaled-down version, but never did. Only time I have seen it at the HS level.

rainmaker Sun Mar 21, 2004 01:16am

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

It just struck me funny. My son didn't speak until he was nearly 3, and he had learned quite a bit of sign language before he started talking. In ASL, you can get clear to 99 on one hand, so I just figured that would be an easy way to do it.