The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Advancement?

This is my fourth year officiating and I have to admit that I love it. I don't know why, I just do - sounds like the words from a song. This past Friday, I officiated in my first boys JV game. I thought I did a pretty good job. My commisioner reffed the following "varsity" game and was able to observe some of my game. He made a comment on one of my calls - I had hesitated a fraction on a charge call because I considered a no call. He commented that although he thought I had made the correct call he also thought I hesitated because I was not reffing the defense and had my eye on the offensive player driving into the lane. I was lead and I thought I was responsible for both. I explained the hesitation was because I momentarily considered a no call. At any rate, I am trying to move up and would like to break into the varsity ranks. I am afraid this episode will cause him to bump me back to freshman and middle school ball. My neighbor has been reffing for 20 years for this same commisioner and never had a boys varsity game. What do I need to do to get this behind me and gain another opportunity. I am beginning to think no matter how many games I work, not matter how many clinics I attend and no matter how well I study the rules, I will never get a chance to move up. Any advice from you veterans out there.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 07:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Varies from area to area.

I really cannot tell you anything specific, many because I am not in your area. But all I kind tell you is find out all the rules and expectations of your area or assignment chairpeople, then go for it. It would not hurt to talk to the assignment chairman that you are currently dealing with and others that work for him. Your neighbor might not be a very good official, so you cannot use him as your barametor of your career. Actually it is better to have a mentor that is at the level you want to get. Frankly every area is different and what works in my area, might not apply to yours. So just keep working hard and staying true to yourself and have a great season and happy holidays.

I just thought of this, do you only have one assignment chairman to deal with?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
Advancement?

This is my fourth year officiating and I have to admit that I love it. I don't know why, I just do - sounds like the words from a song. This past Friday, I officiated in my first boys JV game. I thought I did a pretty good job. My commisioner reffed the following "varsity" game and was able to observe some of my game. He made a comment on one of my calls - I had hesitated a fraction on a charge call because I considered a no call. He commented that although he thought I had made the correct call he also thought I hesitated because I was not reffing the defense and had my eye on the offensive player driving into the lane. I was lead and I thought I was responsible for both. I explained the hesitation was because I momentarily considered a no call. At any rate, I am trying to move up and would like to break into the varsity ranks. I am afraid this episode will cause him to bump me back to freshman and middle school ball. My neighbor has been reffing for 20 years for this same commisioner and never had a boys varsity game. What do I need to do to get this behind me and gain another opportunity. I am beginning to think no matter how many games I work, not matter how many clinics I attend and no matter how well I study the rules, I will never get a chance to move up. Any advice from you veterans out there.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
4th year and first boys JV game? You won't move up to fast doing that. This is my fourth year and every year the game I do the most of is boys JV. I called two this week alone. So now that you are at this level, do a good job of it first.

Second thing, like Rut mentioned, is get a mentor. If you can get this commissioner to mentor you that would be great. But I wouldn't get your neighbor to do it. He is not where you want to be.

Third, if it really is that hard to move up, I would consider a move. Different area's of the country work differently and some area's, like Rut's, you can be doing a full Varsity Schedule by the third year. One thing I would recommend is that you don't move up any faster then you have to. You call a high profile game before you're ready and you won't see that game for a very long time.

The real test on moving up is what you do during the summer. I've mentioned some of the summer ball I've done to assignors and they automatically say I'm ready for the next level. If you can call that you can call this.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I just wanted to make a point on "refereeing the defense". It sounds to me that your commissioner is probably a pretty good teacher. Refereeing the defense will make the block/charge calls become one of your easiest. You are responsible for both players, but as the player drives to the basket, find the defensive player. If he establishes legal guarding position and you feel the contact warrants a call...call the charge. If you are focused on the offensive player as he drives, the crash can take you a bit by surprise and make the probability of getting the call right much lower. In a transition situation, find the defenders as the try to establish position...you will not miss an obvious violation by the dribbler if one occurs.

As for working your first boys JV game in your fourth year, that can be fine progress depending on your geographic area and experience in your first couple years. You need to find mentors who are working at the varsity level, if your neighbor has been working 20 years of sub-varsity ball, he may be a good friend, but not a good officiating mentor. The way you move up is to gain the confidence not only of the commisioner, but of the officials and coaches you will work with and for at the next level. Depending on the area and association you work for, coaches can have a big influence on who moves up to varsity. They watch the JV games and notice the officials. This is something you can't control, except for doing your best on the games. If you have had a team several times, and the coach recognizes you, it helpful to acknowledge them and perhaps exchange brief small talk. The best officials are the ones who are at ease dealing with all the people you come into contact with at a basketball game. The best way to move up to varsity is when other officials want to work with you. If the commisioner's "heavy hitters" want to work with you, you'll work.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

During the season, basketball officials, for the most part officiate basketball games. In the off-season, basketball officials learn how to officiate. Work hard, ask questions and enjoy the game.

keep smiling
SH
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Tim, I would not go that far.

I would never say that you can just get a full varsity schedule your 3rd year. You have to be good and you have to have the right people in your corner. If you do not, you will never move up anyway. But most of all, you must be good and solid. I benefited from having my mentor work with me off the bat. He had me doing things that others that were starting out were not doing. I did my first game ever with him, a 5th and 6th grade girls game. All he told me to do was get my arm up. Do not worry about birddogging or anything other than what he told me. I did not try to do everything together like others do. I started off very slow, and once I got confrontable at one thing, he moved me on to the next thing. I feel that it gave me a head start. Then I watched every game I could and never left early for a varsity game after a JV one. This motivated me to get better and prove that I was a better official than the varsity officials that I watched. After you see the horrible mechanics and lack of hustle, this can really motivate you, especially when you realize that you can do that and more. There is much more than that to it, but that just scratches the surface on some of the things I did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
4th year and first boys JV game? You won't move up to fast doing that. This is my fourth year and every year the game I do the most of is boys JV. I called two this week alone. So now that you are at this level, do a good job of it first.

Second thing, like Rut mentioned, is get a mentor. If you can get this commissioner to mentor you that would be great. But I wouldn't get your neighbor to do it. He is not where you want to be.

Third, if it really is that hard to move up, I would consider a move. Different area's of the country work differently and some area's, like Rut's, you can be doing a full Varsity Schedule by the third year. One thing I would recommend is that you don't move up any faster then you have to. You call a high profile game before you're ready and you won't see that game for a very long time.

The real test on moving up is what you do during the summer. I've mentioned some of the summer ball I've done to assignors and they automatically say I'm ready for the next level. If you can call that you can call this.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

One question. I see you live in Overland Park,KS. Do you work in Kansas or Missouri and do you think you could cross the state line and work over their?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Best Advice I got:

Whenever someone in position of assigning-power gives you advice, swallow your pride, just nod, and agree whole-heartedly with their assessment -- ESPECIALLY if you think you were right anyway.

Assignors can accept mistakes, but more importantly, you have to demonstrate to them you are willing to learn from your mistakes and possess a willingness to improve. ALWAYS THANK THEM for their advice!

Nothing turns-off assignors more than an official with potential who doesn't seem open to advice, or debates its merit. You don't want to seem like a know-it-all. Yeah, its called brown-nosing, but that's the way it is unless you're a fast-track, soon-to-be D1 stud, doing the JV game a favor.

Having said that, you must realize that not everyone is, or will be, a varsity official (as your neighbor can certainly attest to). Assess your game, determine attainable goals, and how you will acheive them.

If you want to eventually work at the BV level, you'd better first focus on these goals:

1. Getting through this season of Boys JV ball.
2. Next year, getting more JV assignments, maybe even a playoff assignment
3. The following year, becoming an R on JV assignments, working one Boys Varsity preseason game or several scrimmages.
4. The following year, maybe get a JV championship assignment.

These are acheivable goals as long as you strive to improve your game every year.

Also, during this time, you should be working Girls Varsity to get a taste of the crowds, the physicality of the game, and the voracity of coaches; which all get more intense on the boys side.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not everyone

I think your points are good, but everyone does not have to do this to get varsity games. This might be in your region or just assignor, but everyone does not have to do this to move up. I am not talking about the advice given by assignors, I am talking about the type of schedule and how and when you get that schedule.

But I would also say that never feel afraid to ask questions or even ask why, because you should always know why you are doing something. The reason because when you understand the reasoning, it is easier to adapt and hold on to. But you must only ask questions in the spirit of understanding and learning, if you do it any other way, you might be accused of not wanting to learn. That would be really bad!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
Best Advice I got:

Whenever someone in position of assigning-power gives you advice, swallow your pride, just nod, and agree whole-heartedly with their assessment -- ESPECIALLY if you think you were right anyway.

Assignors can accept mistakes, but more importantly, you have to demonstrate to them you are willing to learn from your mistakes and possess a willingness to improve. ALWAYS THANK THEM for their advice!

Nothing turns-off assignors more than an official with potential who doesn't seem open to advice, or debates its merit. You don't want to seem like a know-it-all. Yeah, its called brown-nosing, but that's the way it is unless you're a fast-track, soon-to-be D1 stud, doing the JV game a favor.

Having said that, you must realize that not everyone is, or will be, a varsity official (as your neighbor can certainly attest to). Assess your game, determine attainable goals, and how you will acheive them.

If you want to eventually work at the BV level, you'd better first focus on these goals:

1. Getting through this season of Boys JV ball.
2. Next year, getting more JV assignments, maybe even a playoff assignment
3. The following year, becoming an R on JV assignments, working one Boys Varsity preseason game or several scrimmages.
4. The following year, maybe get a JV championship assignment.

These are acheivable goals as long as you strive to improve your game every year.

Also, during this time, you should be working Girls Varsity to get a taste of the crowds, the physicality of the game, and the voracity of coaches; which all get more intense on the boys side.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Smile here's my take...

Officiating is just an extension of who you are. If you have a positive attitude, likeable personality and a willingness to improve, those qualities will carry over when you put the stripes on. Anybody can learn to hustle or judge a bang-bang play, but the ones that move up have the total package. On AND off the court.

Some of the best officials in the world are often stymied because they are fake. I've met folks that are really solid on the court, but the "word on the street" is that they are arrogant, selfish and will put others down to promote themselves. They have "weasled" their way to a certain level, but when they are in a tough spot (big game, camp, etc.) their real qualities come to the forefront. Everyone in the gym can see right through them.

Be yourself! Either you have or you don't. Not everyone is cut out to carry the whistle...
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't know about your analysis on when to R at the JV level, but I did that during my second girls JV game. My partner that night had a broken arm and didn't want to throw the ball so he turned it over to me.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation I can relate, Tim!!

On my VERY FIRST GAME (JVG), it was also my partner's very first high school game as well. He was there first. When I walked in, we got to talking and figured this much out. We looked at each other and simultaneously said, "Do you want to be the referee?"

I immediately said, "NO! Heck, I've already been to the bathroom TWICE today...I couldn't take being the referee!!"

He didn't want to be referee either, but he was a little older than I was, plus, he said he knew many of the administrators at the school. So, he ended up being referee!

Whew! I think I finally relaxed after the 3rd quarter!