The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   official always has best view of a play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12738-official-always-has-best-view-play.html)

wyoref16 Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:11pm

Recently a buddy of mine was working a upper level high school boys game. With a minute left and team A beaten, an A player took off on a fast break with a B defender in hot pursuit. Just as A player was laying the ball up, B player goes by him and attemps to block the shot. The A player lost his balance, fell on his butt, got back up and headed down the floor after the made basket. When the kid hit the floor and no call was made, the team A coach flew off the bench, ran on the court, took off his coat and threw it at the official, who was in perfect position. The hometown radio DJ who was broadcasting the game (home team lost) yells out "our player got LEVELED and no whistle. The next days paper reported that the player got knocked flat on his back and no call. The interview the home coach who stated that his player got undercut on the play and no foul was called. The visiting coach sent us the game tape. The defender never TOUCHED the other player. He simply lost his balance and fell on his butt. However, every home fan, coach, and media person were convinced their player got hammered.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by wyoref16
every home fan, coach, and media person were convinced their player got hammered.
If they say so, then it must be true. :rolleyes:

One-Whistle Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:33pm

Media, schmedia

The original post reminds me of our local sports announcer. I have jokingly asked him if he is a graduate of the "Billy Packer School of Sports Broadcasting."

They are the "experts" you know! :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:39pm

Quote:

Recently a buddy of mine was working a upper level high school boys game. With a minute left and team A beaten, an A player took off on a fast break with a B defender in hot pursuit. Just as A player was laying the ball up, B player goes by him and attemps to block the shot. The A player lost his balance, fell on his butt, got back up and headed down the floor after the made basket. When the kid hit the floor and no call was made, the team A coach flew off the bench, ran on the court, took off his coat and threw it at the official, who was in perfect position. The hometown radio DJ who was broadcasting the game (home team lost) yells out "our player got LEVELED and no whistle. The next days paper reported that the player got knocked flat on his back and no call. The interview the home coach who stated that his player got undercut on the play and no foul was called. The visiting coach sent us the game tape. The defender never TOUCHED the other player. He simply lost his balance and fell on his butt. However, every home fan, coach, and media person were convinced their player got hammered.

I understand your concern about how the media handled this situation. BUT, what I really want to know is: was Coach A given an E-ticket to the lockerroom?

MTD, Sr.

cmathews Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:40pm

Wyoref,
Which of our illustrious coaches pulled such a stunt?? and did he get to watch the rest of the game and if so, did he watch it seated on the bench??

The reason I ask is that in a game my partner got the "coat" treatment from a coach....just curious if it is the same one or not....

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:16pm

Quote:

When the kid hit the floor and no call was made, the team A coach flew off the bench, ran on the court, took off his coat and threw it at the official, who was in perfect position.

Automatic flagrant technical foul. also an automatic write-up to the league,state office,etc. Should be a suspension go along with this one.

Please tell me that the official didn't just issue a T, and leave this clown in the game. I hate to say it, but if he did so, then he did all of us a dis-service.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

When the kid hit the floor and no call was made, the team A coach flew off the bench, ran on the court, took off his coat and threw it at the official, who was in perfect position.

Automatic flagrant technical foul. also an automatic write-up to the league,state office,etc. Should be a suspension go along with this one.

Please tell me that the official didn't just issue a T, and leave this clown in the game. I hate to say it, but if he did so, then he did all of us a dis-service.

Right on, JR.

cmathews Tue Mar 16, 2004 09:51pm

Quote:

Quote:

JR I agree. In the game I mentioned, I didn't see what happened, I was bringing the ball up the floor, in a press situation, as trail and it was across the floor from me... My partner issued a T and left it at that...When I found out later what had transpired, I mentioned that we should have given him the gate...but we didn't and I sure wish we had...

wyoref16 Wed Mar 17, 2004 09:08am

Coach was T'ed up and was allowed to watch the game from the bench. I'm with everyone else...I would have tossed him.
The problem is, in Wyoming the referees are hired by the home coaches (ADs supposedly-but coaches really run the show). Most officials think twice about tossing the home coach, although odds are one might have the same coach on the road-so I fail to see the difference.

Sorry; no names. This particular coach normally never says a word to officials; he just lost it because of what he THOUGHT he saw.

Rich Wed Mar 17, 2004 09:13am

Somebody should anonymously drop him a DVD with only this play on it and a sticky note attached that says "Don't you feel like a complete a$$hole now?"

--Rich

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:09am

Quote:

Quote:

Hear, hear!

After regretably not ejecting or giving a T to a player for a similar offense, my policy for next season is you throw something at me, I'm throwing you out of the game.

footlocker Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:16am

Quote:

The problem is, in Wyoming the referees are hired by the home coaches (ADs supposedly-but coaches really run the show).
Oh, my. So after tossing this coach and a write up, I would have been punished even further by not having to ref his games anymore? Where's the problem?