The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   going to the blocks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12703-going-blocks.html)

Nevadaref Sun Mar 14, 2004 01:51am

Has anyone heard if the NFHS committee is considering moving to the NCAA mens free throw line-up? By this I mean allowing the first defenders to stand on the blocks. That extra 12" would give them a better angle to rebound the miss.
I saw the discussion on going to NCAA womens (first spot empty), but didn't see anything about the mens method.

BoomerSooner Mon Mar 15, 2004 01:02am

I haven't heard anything, though I wouldn't doubt that it has at least been discussed. I think it has its advantages and wouldn't mind adding it to Fed

icallfouls Mon Mar 15, 2004 03:09pm

FT line

;)

[Edited by icallfouls on Mar 17th, 2004 at 12:05 PM]

bob jenkins Mon Mar 15, 2004 03:57pm

Re: FT line

Quote:

Originally posted by icallfouls
I doubt that the NCAA will move teams up the lane lines since next year they will be experimenting with the trapezoid and moving the 3 pt line back.

Do you have a reference for this? The last I saw, it was rescinded.

icallfouls Mon Mar 15, 2004 04:17pm

NCAA.org

See the attached Jan 14, 2003 news release from the NCAA. It appears thatI didn't read the last sentence in its entirety, in that the trapezoid will not be used.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT:
Wednesday, January 14, 2003 Marty Benson
Liaison to Men's Basketball
Rules Committee

Heather Perry
Liaison to Women's Basketball
Rules Committee

BASKETBALL THREE-POINT LINE AND LANE TO REMAIN THE SAME

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Executive Committee, meeting at the NCAA Convention, ruled that the three-point line will remain at its current distance (19 feet, 9 inches from the center of the basket to the outside edge of the three-point line), for all three divisions. The free-throw lane also will remain the current width and configuration.

An original recommendation from the NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Committees to extend the three-point line and change the free-throw lane to a trapezoid starting in 2004-05 for men's basketball, and to extend the three-point line for women's basketball starting in 2004-05, had been considered but the divisional governing bodies removed the free-throw lane piece from that proposal.

MB/HP:mel

Bart Tyson Mon Mar 15, 2004 06:00pm

Re: FT line

Quote:

I doubt that the NCAA will move teams up the lane lines since next year they will be experimenting with the trapezoid and moving the 3 pt line back.

Start brushing up on your International Rules. ;)

When using the trapezoid, isn't the first available spot higher then the current lane spot? i.e. where only 3 on each side available.

bob jenkins Tue Mar 16, 2004 08:52am

Re: NCAA.org

Quote:

See the attached Jan 14, 2003 news release from the NCAA. It appears thatI didn't read the last sentence in its entirety, in that the trapezoid will not be used.

And the first sentence says that the 3-point line will remain the same.

Other than those two errors, though, you read it correctly. ;)

icallfouls Tue Mar 16, 2004 03:48pm

ncaa

|o

[Edited by icallfouls on Mar 16th, 2004 at 02:53 PM]

Camron Rust Tue Mar 16, 2004 05:49pm

Re: ncaa

Quote:

|o

[Edited by icallfouls on Mar 16th, 2004 at 02:53 PM]

He ref, you wanna borrow my glasses? ;)