The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

My partner and I were working a 7th and 8th grade girls' game for the YMCA. Ball was being through in from out of bounds sideline frontcourt by Team A. Player A-1 from out of bounds, thinking her teammate A-2 is going to backcourt, throws a high pass, almost out of reach of Player A-2, who decides to stay in her frontcourt. The ball is sailing high over Player A-2, but she manages to just tip it before it goes into the backcourt. Player A-2 goes back into her backcourt, grabs the ball, my partner blows the whistle and signals over and back. I disagreed with her, saying that Team A didn't have control of the ball, one of the conditions for an over-and-back call.

Interpretation please? Isn't it 1) who had control before the ball goes into the backcourt, and 2) who last touched the ball?

Greg
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct.

But in addition to what you wrote, it's also FC status and who touches it first after it's been in the BC that determines whether a violation occurs..

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 07:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
[B Ball was being through in from out of bounds sideline frontcourt by Team A. Player A-1 from out of bounds, thinking her teammate A-2 is going to backcourt, throws a high pass, almost out of reach of Player A-2, who decides to stay in her frontcourt. The ball is sailing high over Player A-2, but she manages to just tip it before it goes into the backcourt. Player A-2 goes back into her backcourt, grabs the ball, my partner blows the whistle and signals over and back. I disagreed with her, saying that Team A didn't have control of the ball, one of the conditions for an over-and-back call.

Interpretation please? Isn't it 1) who had control before the ball goes into the backcourt, and 2) who last touched the ball?

[/B]
On a throw-in, it doesn't matter who touched the ball last in the frontcourt, as long as no player established control before the ball went into the backcourt. No violation. Case book play 4.12.6Sit(b).
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

But what constitutes control of the ball?

Thank you for the reply. My next question as a followup: what constitutes control? Not merely touching the ball in frontcourt, but is there a hard and fast rule on that?

Greg
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: But what constitutes control of the ball?

Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
Thank you for the reply. My next question as a followup: what constitutes control? Not merely touching the ball in frontcourt, but is there a hard and fast rule on that?

Greg
Holding or dribbling establishes control.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith