The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Ref-Thanks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12675-new-ref-thanks.html)

TimB Fri Mar 12, 2004 01:09pm

This is my first year calling Bball. I started in Nov calling youth league games. I have gained alot of knowledge from reading different posts on this site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone. Learning how to officiate is a harder task than I ever imagined.

Thanks to all
Tim

zebraman Fri Mar 12, 2004 01:42pm

TimB,

Officiating is the only activity where you have to start at perfect and improve from there. :-)

You are right that this site is a great resource and the officials here can contribute a lot with their knowledge and experience. You'll be amazed at how much you improve from year to year and how much more fun (and addicting) it becomes each season. Keep it up!

Z

Snake~eyes Fri Mar 12, 2004 02:07pm

Why we're at it let me thank everybody also. My basketball season is finished as I moved to my spring sport. I continue to learn by reading this message board and I appreciate everyone's help and insight that they provide. Hopefully one of these days I'll beable to be the answerer instead of the questioner. Thanx everybody! ;)

Dan_ref Fri Mar 12, 2004 03:23pm

Congratulations! Here's your final exam based what you should have learned here. Take all the time you want

1. A real estate developer petitions the city for a design variance on a shopping mall he is building. Under what circumstances might the structural engineer implement that variance?

2. What major player move was made over the off season that all but guarantees the Yankees will once again finish ahead of the Red Sox?

3. Two part question:
- What's the password for our group's ESPN bracket contest?
- Will Tony's picks finally keep him in the running into the second round this year?

4. You're at trail and the coach starts talking to you. He says "quite a game we got here, eh?" You say

a. "Sit down and shutup"
b. "I dunno coach, it wasn't in my area"
c. "Yep, sure is"
d. "Uhhhmmmmm....."
e. Nothing and puke on his shoes

5. You're working a hotly contested 3rd grade girls between the areas 2 best teams. A1, A2 & A3 form a wedge for A4 who drives to the basket. As A4 picks up the ball she shuffles her feet. Do you call the travel?

6. Later in that same game A4 tells you you suck. Your first instinct is to T her up, but you already have 18 T's for the season and you don't want to be seen as a hot head. What do you do?

7. Later in that same game A1 puts up a 3 which goes in. You signal the 3 points but your partner blows his whistle, points at the line & raises 2 fingers. You:

a. Blow your whistle, give him 1 finger and tell the table it's 3 points.
b. Do nothing, later spend 5 minutes in the locker room during half time screaming "AND WHO THE HELL WAS WATCHING YOUR AREA WHILE YOU WERE WATCHING MINE??????!!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE ELBOWS A1 AND B1 WERE THROWING EACHOTHER IN YOUR AREA?????!!!!!! I KNOW YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT!!!!! STOP WATCHING THE BALL AND LEARN TO TRUST YOUR PARTNER!!!! WHEN I WANT YOUR HELP I'LL ASK FOR IT!!!! STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY AREA!!!!!!!!"
c. Do nothing, thank him later
d. Puke on his shoes

8. Later in that same game team A is up by 40 to start the 4th qtr. They have their starters in and continue to press. You:

a. Call a foul everytime coach A breathes
b. Call a foul everytime coach B breathes
c. Call a foul everytime A1's mom (who's wearing that pleasantly snug sweater and could be Charlize Theron's younger sister) breathes
d. Call the game and wander off to strike up a conversation with A1's mom.

9. How many halves in a game of basketball?

a. 3
b. 4
c. I dunno coach, it wasn't in my area
d. uhhhmmmmmmm.....
e. none of the above

10. What is a Turdus Migratorius?

CYO Butch Fri Mar 12, 2004 04:22pm

Priceless!

Dan Ref - Awsome post. I actually laughed out loud, but it hurt because I also had to wipe the puke off my shoes.

I too would like to pile on the initial post. This board is great, ranging from self-professed liberal Democrats to people who claim to be as old as dinosaurs. While by temperament I've never been too much of a howler, what I have learned here has given me constantly renewed respect for the men and women who spend their time getting yelled at by frustrated people - us coaches. Thanks for the board, and thanks for what you all give our youth.

dhodges007 Fri Mar 12, 2004 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TimB
This is my first year calling Bball. I started in Nov calling youth league games. I have gained alot of knowledge from reading different posts on this site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone. Learning how to officiate is a harder task than I ever imagined.

Thanks to all
Tim

Welcome!!

Very funny Dan!

ref18 Fri Mar 12, 2004 07:55pm

While were all thanking the board, i'd like to join in, if it weren't for you guys, i probably wouldn't be half the ref i am now. For some reason the rules stick in my head more when i read them here vs reading them in the rulebook. I think it is great that experienced officials are willing to share their wealth of knowledge with us rookies.

Thanks.

Oh ya, and if that 19 technical foul thing was making reference to my post in the other thread, then just to get it straight, i've only t'd up 19 coaches this year. I've called about double that on players. :)

One-Whistle Fri Mar 12, 2004 08:56pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ref18
.... i probably wouldn't be half the ref i am now.[/Quote}

I wish I were 1/2 the ref I am... then I would only weigh 140 pounds :D

Hawks Coach Fri Mar 12, 2004 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Oh ya, and if that 19 technical foul thing was making reference to my post in the other thread, then just to get it straight, i've only t'd up 19 coaches this year. I've called about double that on players. :)
I was going to point out that a player T doesn't count towards the coach total, so go ahead and T him twice and you are still good for the year :)

If it is bench personnel though it would be an indirect on the coach, which is kind of like half a T and might count toward the annual coach T total. I think I need an engineer to diagram this out for me. But if we are under FIBA, the T count is metric anyway so the limit is like 100 I think.

One-Whistle Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:15pm

ref18

[QUOTE]Originally posted by One-Whistle
Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
.... i probably wouldn't be half the ref i am now.[/Quote}

I wish I were 1/2 the ref I am... then I would only weigh 140 pounds :D
If you convert it to metric I only weigh 127.2 (Kg) :D

I am beginning to like this Metric thing...:D

Hawks Coach Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:26pm

More than double the Ts and half the weight - not bad for a simple conversion. From here forward, I'm doing all my rule references utilizing the portuguese translation of the FIBA rulebook. I will be the interpreter.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 13, 2004 02:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
[/B]
But if we are under FIBA, the T count is metric anyway so the limit is like 100 I think.

[/B][/QUOTE]Actually, using the official Canadian conversion rate, 19 Canadian T's = 311 American T's.

Hmmmmmm.... maybe MN14 was right. That IS a lot of T's to be handing out in one year!

ChuckElias Sat Mar 13, 2004 06:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
You probably won't know this unless you've had Jim Harrick, Jr. for a professor :)

One-Whistle Sat Mar 13, 2004 08:15am

The more puzzling question...

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
You probably won't know this unless you've had Jim Harrick, Jr. for a professor :)

Are all halves equal? :)