The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

The governing body of HS sports in Nevada is searching for some money. Therefore, is reviewing bids to sponsor/provide the official game balls at the various schools. Here is a quote from the recent meeting:

"As part of the process of selecting a “ball sponsor,” the NIAA sent out questionnaires to coaches throughout the state asking how they felt about certain balls after experimenting with them in practices. Replied Green Valley boys coach Jim Allen: “We couldn’t shoot the ball at all. But that wasn’t the fault of the ball.”"
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
lol, I think we used that ball out here in MD. You couldn't tell by looking at it, but it was made out of brick!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of balls, has anyone run across a 10 panel ball this year? Also has anyone order one from the add in the Rules Book?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Speaking of balls, has anyone run across a 10 panel ball this year? Also has anyone order one from the add in the Rules Book?
1) Yes.

2) Probably, or else it's an extremely uneffective ad.

Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have run across one. I did find it easier to grip than the 8 panel ball.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

I've reffed a few games with the 10-panel ball, i find that we call more carry violations with a 10-panel then the 8-panel. Even when i tried to dribble it i found myself carrying it. It feels really wierd. I'm not a big fan of it.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

At the 1A state tourney here in Washington State, we were told that we were only to use Spalding balls for the games. I heard the announcers mention that Spalding was the "official ball" of the WIAA state tournament so there must be some sort of sponsorship thing going on.

Z
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
At the 1A state tourney here in Washington State, we were told that we were only to use Spalding balls for the games. I heard the announcers mention that Spalding was the "official ball" of the WIAA state tournament so there must be some sort of sponsorship thing going on.

Z
Hey Z, how did my buddy do on the boy's side at the 1A tourney? His name is Carl Metz...haven't heard from him yet, was just wondering if you met him.
It was his first State Tournament...so to get even one extra day would be good.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I met him briefly... talked to him courtside for a few minutes on Friday. Carl reffed just Wed and Thu, but I saw him ref and he did a good job. Lots of strong officials there. IMHO, Carl will have his day.

Z
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I met him briefly... talked to him courtside for a few minutes on Friday. Carl reffed just Wed and Thu, but I saw him ref and he did a good job. Lots of strong officials there. IMHO, Carl will have his day.

Z
Thanks for the info Z, and I'll pass on the good words to Carl...BTW, did you work the boys or girls games...and did you have a good tourney?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
1) Yes.

2) Probably, or else it's an extremely uneffective ad.

According to the Internet the 10 panel ball is the official ball for the AAU nationals.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:12pm
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, I have. The only time that I have seen them used so far was last summer in the YBOA Boys' and Girls' National Championship Tournaments. They were the YBOA official balls by Rawlings. The ironic thing about using them was the fact that the tournaments were being played under the NFHS 2002-03 rules, they were technically illegal, but we used them anyway and I did not see any difference in play between the ten panel balls and eight panel balls.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Yes, I have. The only time that I have seen them used so far was last summer in the YBOA Boys' and Girls' National Championship Tournaments. They were the YBOA official balls by Rawlings. The ironic thing about using them was the fact that the tournaments were being played under the NFHS 2002-03 rules, they were technically illegal, but we used them anyway and I did not see any difference in play between the ten panel balls and eight panel balls.
How can the league make such a determination contrary to the rules? How could the officials work in such a league?

Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How can the league make such a determination contrary to the rules? How could the officials work in such a league?

I cannot remember who made the YBOA official ball for the 1998 YBOA Girls' Nationals, but the site I was at for the first day of the tournament, the balls were so bad that the site manager (the H.S. boys' varsity coach at the school) went into the school's equipment room, and brought out five girls' balls that the girls' varsity used the previous season. Later in the day, a YBOA official came to our site and became upset because we were using the YBOA balls, but when the site manager showed him how poor they were he agreed and made sure that there were new balls at the site the next day. He was one YBOA official that was not happy with the ball manufacturer.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, that one made me laugh out loud. Thx, Bob.