The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coldwater Refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12635-coldwater-refs.html)

youngbballref Tue Mar 09, 2004 05:47pm

Hey, I was just wondering if there were any Refs in the area of Coldwater on here?

Thanks

Mike

BktBallRef Tue Mar 09, 2004 06:11pm

WTF is Coldwater?

I know, I know...it's on the opposite side of the HotWater!! :D

oatmealqueen Tue Mar 09, 2004 06:52pm

It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
WTF is Coldwater?

FHSUref Tue Mar 09, 2004 08:24pm

Coldwater, KS?

One-Whistle Tue Mar 09, 2004 08:39pm

Re: It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
WTF is Coldwater?

Keep in mind this is the same state that takes pride in their "NIMRODS!" :D

wizard Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:01pm

There is a Coldwater, Ohio.

N_Stripes Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:08pm

LOL

We have a Coldwater, Mississippi but I don't think we have a gym there.

Bart Tyson Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:14pm

Re: Re: It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Keep in mind this is the same state that takes pride in their "NIMRODS!" :D [/B]
Nimrods, I've seen this on ESPN. Is there really a name for a school called Nimrods?

FHSUref Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:17pm

Yeah, GO NIMRODS!!!!

johnSandlin Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:51pm

There are two really good officials from the Coldwater/Bronson area that you mentioned. I know both of them really well and the both of them bring a ton of knowledge to the world of officiating.

The names are Ken Smoker and Randy Spangler. Both of them have worked semis and state finals in both girls and boys basketball on more then one ocassion of my memory is correct. Give them a call to talk hoops.

If that does not work for you, give Dave Eubank(Battle Creek) a call. He is my supervisor for junior college womens basketball on the west side of the state in Michigan. He is also the main contact person for the South Central Officials Association out of Battle Creek.

I hope this information helps you out. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else from that area. I want to college in Kalamazoo and officiated at Coldwater and many schools in the area of Coldwater, so I know the area well.

Hawks Coach Wed Mar 10, 2004 01:14pm

Re: Re: Re: It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

Nimrods, I've seen this on ESPN. Is there really a name for a school called Nimrods? [/B]
Yes - it is Watersmeet, MI, in da UP,eh, and they are really the Nimrods. Not sure if those are real fans, but they sure look like they could be.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 10, 2004 02:36pm

Re: Re: Re: It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Quote:

Nimrods, I've seen this on ESPN. Is there really a name for a school called Nimrods? [/B]
Although it's a humorous name for most of us, you can see how a school might pick this as the name for the team (warning: religious material follows):

The name Nimrod may come from the Hebrew verb 'nimrodh' which is translated, "Let us revolt." Nimrod is referred to as a 'mighty one': this phrase derives from the Hebrew word 'gilor' which means "tyrant". Nimrod was not just a powerful man on the earth at that time, he was a tyrannical leader of men. The phrase "a mighty hunter before the Lord" suggests that it was not wild beasts that Nimrod was hunting, but men. Having hunted them he would enslave them and have a tyranical hold over them. And all this was done in direct opposition to the Lord.

It has also been suggested that Nimrod tamed a leopard to accompany him on his hunts for animals, just as people today use dogs for this purpose. This could also be where Nimrod got his name: the Babylonian name for "leopard" was "nimr" and "rod" means "to subdue."

After the Great Flood, various city-states in Mesopotamia became the temporary seat of power until about 2800 BC, when they were united under the rule of one king, Etana of Kish, who may also be the origin of the Biblical Nimrod. Seven cities were conquered by this king, who established the world's first, post-deluge empire. After founding a southern (Sumerian) empire in Babel, Erech, Akkad, and Calneh, he invaded Assyria and built Nineveh, Rehoboth-Ir, Calah and Resen. He then unified the people in numerous construction projects, the most prominent of which was the construction of the Tower of Babel.

In his ancient history Histori Romani Scriptorium Justin states,

"Ninus strengthened the greatness of his acquired dominion by continued possession. Having subdued, therefore, his neighbors, when, by an accession of forces, being still further streng-thened, he went forth against other tribes, and every new victory paved the way for another, he subdued all the peoples of the east."
Ninus is probably Nimrod - Genesis 10:11 indicates that Nimrod was the builder of Nineveh, and the word Nineveh (Nin-neveh) means "the habitation of Ninus."

Bart Tyson Wed Mar 10, 2004 02:45pm

Bob, YOU are a wealth of information. :)

mick Wed Mar 10, 2004 03:31pm

Quote:

Bob, YOU are a wealth of information. :)

Yeah, but the Nimrods were still named for wild game available in that area. Nimrod ---> Hunter.

I worked with the Lead official that is eyeballing that "three". I work more often with the unseen partner he had that night (Weiler).

Yes, the fans shown are the real deal.
mick

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 10, 2004 03:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: It's a city in southern Michigan. n/m

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins

Although it's a humorous name for most of us, you can see how a school might pick this as the name for the team (warning: religious material follows):

Let's see ESPN make a commercial out of that! :p