The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 09:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Our rec league has to reschedule some games due to last minute school gym unavailability. If the rescheduled games are accepted by the school district, I will have one night two weeks from now in which I will have a HS varsity game preceded by a third grade game.

Even though I train officials in this league to work games at that level, I haven't worked one myself in at least 12 years. My partner that night will be a HS association ref who has never worked anything below middle school in his careet.

I've been reviewing the special rules (no zones, no backcourt guarding, limited double-teaming, no called isolation plays, etc) and I've come to the conclusion that this game probably will be the hardest I've had all season.

What a way to go out on my final night of my career!

BTW - at our annual referee pizza party, the guys presented me with a retirement gift - a Fox 40 spray painted gold. I'll treasure it always.

Wish me luck with the little guys.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats. Keep posting.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

What a way to go out on my final night of my career!

BTW - at our annual referee pizza party, the guys presented me with a retirement gift - a Fox 40 spray painted gold. I'll treasure it always.

Wish me luck with the little guys.
Word of advice, never say never.

If you really mean to “retire” stay away from the gym. Make sure you have your weekends planned weeks in advance next fall. All of this or you will succumb to the Siren’s call. (Been there, done that)

So fill us in?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

If you really mean to “retire” stay away from the gym. Make sure you have your weekends planned weeks in advance next fall. All of this or you will succumb to the Siren’s call. (Been there, done that)
Yea, actually Padgett's done that before, too. He retired once, but got sucked back in. He's talkng different this time, though. It sounds pretty serious. And his wife is in on the planning. I think it's gonna be her that gets the final say, whatya bet?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

Yea, actually Padgett's done that before, too. He retired once, but got sucked back in. He's talkng different this time, though. It sounds pretty serious. And his wife is in on the planning. I think it's gonna be her that gets the final say, whatya bet?

Hey - if MJ gets 3 retirements, MP can have 20!

Way to go, Padgett, even if this means you won't be able to afford your meds anymore . Congrats on an amazing career, and we hope you stick around for the humor from time to time.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 07:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Guys (and Juulie) - I appreciate all the good wishes. I'm really hanging up the whistle for good, however. The only involvement I will have after next week's final games is that I told Juulie I would be available to do evals at her camp this spring if she asks me. Other than that, I'm done.

I'll have more than enough to keep me busy. I'm President of our city's Planning Commission and just started my final four year term. I'm also on the board of my homeowner's association and I work on various political campaigns (I'm on the steering committee for a state rep candidate right now). Plus - I own my own business and have five grandkids.

Oh yeah - and then there's the wife, too.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Another Ref is retiring

Here is a local newspaper article on a couple of officials from my Association.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdh...09587271.shtml
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Don't leave Us!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Guys (and Juulie) - I appreciate all the good wishes. I'm really hanging up the whistle for good, however. The only involvement I will have after next week's final games is that I told Juulie I would be available to do evals at her camp this spring if she asks me. Other than that, I'm done.

I'll have more than enough to keep me busy. I'm President of our city's Planning Commission and just started my final four year term. I'm also on the board of my homeowner's association and I work on various political campaigns (I'm on the steering committee for a state rep candidate right now). Plus - I own my own business and have five grandkids.

Oh yeah - and then there's the wife, too.
Mark,

Congrats, stick around and let us know how you are doing.

BTW, why hang up the whistle?

Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Congatulations!

Mark, ahem, Mr. Padget:

I've been lurking on this site for the past season and have come to respect your opinion on rules interpretations and mechanics details.

Please continue your input.

I'm a better official for having read your posts.

Congratulations on a long and meaningful career!

Sincerely,
Ballen in KY

PS: Those little 3rd grade critters are gonna be so cute!
You'll do a great job and remember it for ever!