The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules please.

Throw in in the front court by A1.

Ball thrown in. Bounces off B1 hands then A2 hands (both in the front court) and rolls into the back court where it is picked up by A2. Is this considered over and back ??

My partner who was lead whistled it down eventhough it was in my area and we disputed the call (albeit in our post game).

IMO I though it was not over and back as A did not gain control in the front court after the ball was released on the throw in.

I was sure I was right but couldn't find a good reference in the handbook.

Any help?

Thanks

Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

You were correct.

A backcourt violation required team control which can only be started by a player holding or dribbling the ball inbounds.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
You are correct because there was no team control. Look up the def of team control.

Good question.

My two sense!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Well, you were right, but not because of what those first two responses say...NCAA rules, there IS team control during a throw-in, however there is an exception which allows the ball to be thrown into the back-court...
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rocky Road,

My understanding is that Team Control is there while the person who is throwing the ball has the ball in his hands but ends once it leaves his hands hence the exception as to why the ball can go in the backcourt.

Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 01:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Not the way I understand it...team control on the throw-in continues until the throw-in ends...of course at that point, team control is established by whichever team catches the throw-in...so if the offensive team catches their own throw-in, team control is never broken...like I said, there is the exception which allows them to throw it into the back-court...
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RefSouthAlb
Thanks Rocky Road,

My understanding is that Team Control is there while the person who is throwing the ball has the ball in his hands but ends once it leaves his hands hence the exception as to why the ball can go in the backcourt.

Not correct but sorta close to last years interp, which stated the throw-in ended when the ball is touched on court. If the TI was touched (not controlled) on court then there was a period of time when there was no team control, and that lasted until a player took control of the ball (make sense so far?). This year's interp states the throw-in does not end until it's controlled by a player on the court, eliminating that tme when there was no team control on the TI.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, switching gears to Fed rules...

If a player is straddling the midcourt line, the ball is thrown in to him. He bobbles the ball into the frontcourt and then grabs it after a single bounce without moving either foot (still straddling). Violation?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker

If a player is straddling the midcourt line, the ball is thrown in to him. He bobbles the ball into the frontcourt and then grabs it after a single bounce without moving either foot (still straddling). Violation?
no violation
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

no violation
Agreed...that's because he (or any teammate) never had player control.

If he had actually caught the ball, held and/or dribbled it, and then fumbled it into the FC it would be a violation for him (or any teammate) to pick it up while still in the BC.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. That is how I would have answered it. I have an NFHS video from 2003. It shows the exact situation that I described and indicates that it is a backcourt violation. The video does not explain why that is. My only gues is that the fumbled ball in the front court creates a ball with front court status. No player may pick up that ball while in the backcourt. However, without team control, I'm not sure about this. Anyone else have any ideas here?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting. That is how I would have answered it. I have an NFHS video from 2003. It shows the exact situation that I described and indicates that it is a backcourt violation. The video does not explain why that is. My only gues is that the fumbled ball in the front court creates a ball with front court status. No player may pick up that ball while in the backcourt. However, without team control, I'm not sure about this. Anyone else have any ideas here?
Perhaps the video was judging that the player briefly had control before they fumbled it into the FC.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I will re-watch this portion of the video. I don't believe that is what is being represented. Once I watch it, I will post the wording verbatim.

Meanwhile, if anyone is wise enough to figure this out, I'd appreciate it.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Meanwhile, if anyone is wise enough to figure this out, I'd appreciate it. [/B]
IF it is as you described, then I, ME, with no help, I have the answer. "The video was wrong". Sooo, do I get a prize?
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

The ruling

Here is the quote from the video. I had to stop and rewind a couple of times to make sure that I got this quote verbatim. It is discussing receiving an inbounds pass while straddling the midcourt line. "However, if the player accepting the ball, fumbles the ball and recovers with one foot still in the backcourt, then that player has violated the backcourt rule." Plus the video that goes with these words clearly shows that the girl representing the player never has player control, therefore no team control. Yet they said this was a violation.

However, there is a key in the words they use. The video says "fumbles." The 2002-2003 simplified and illustrated states that a fumble requires momentary control and a muff does not. If a player muffs a pass no team control, if I fumble a pass then I have control and a loose ball. Unfortunately since the video appears more like a muff than a fumble, I would have ruled differently than the video indicates.