The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Ok referee gurus. I have been searching the net for this one, and can't find a rock solid answer, so I'm gonna put it up to the experts. The search function doesn't seem to work, so I'm posting this one as its own topic. Any help will do.

I had a discussion with a ref at our game tonight on whether or not there is a traveling violation on inbounds passes if the inbounds pass is NOT after a made basket. I was under the impression that the inbounder had to stay in a designated spot, and that the "pivot" rules applied once he has the ball, ie, if he establishes a pivot foot, and then lifts it, it is a travel. Is this true? If not, then how does a referee determine when a player has left the designated spot for the inbounds pass, and is it considered a traveling violation? A timely response would be appreciated, because I've got 20 bucks on it - I think its a travel.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Doug
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Get your Andrew Jackson ready. You lose. No such thing as traveling while out of bounds. There is a three foot wide designated spot for the thrower. He can go backwards as far as the gym will allow. pitter-patter all he wants if he is in the box and releases the ball before the 5 second count. If he leaves this designated spot, it is simply a throw in violation. Not traveling.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

So then why does the ref signal with his arms rolling if the player moves from the designated area? (ie, when he runs the baseline when he is not allowed to) Also, where in the rules does it state what this designated area is? I didn't find it in the NCAA 2004 or the NBA.com rulebook?

Also, does that mean I could jump up in the air, fake a pass, and land in the same "designated area", and that wouldn't be a violation?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

There is a problem with the foundation of what you are saying. I have to account for some ref that you may have seen roll his arms for this violation. This is not the correct mechanic. You need to check the National Federation Rule Book. It explains the designated area and the rules.

I don't have the books with me so I can't cite the rule. You'll have to trust me. If you don't though, do you want to put $20 on it?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Yeah, I got to say that you lost that one!

I can't believe that you guys are up this late on an officiating forum
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Anybody have a link to an online version of said rulebook? Since I'm bitter about losing my money, I'd like to see it for myself. Is this true for all levels of play?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Sorry I'm away from my books right now, you can leave a message at the tone...

The closest thing you are going to find to a rulebook online is this forum and possibly the NFHS website, which makes the rules for the most part. Here is the link to NHFS basketball rules info
http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...No&head=BT.cfm
A tad lengthy I would agree! Good luck hunting!

P.S. Go to bed!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 06:17am
In Memoriam

From the NFHS rule book - rule 4-41-6NOTE- "Pivot-foot restrictions and the travelling rule are not in effect on the throw-in'.

The NCAA rule is the same. Click on the link below, and then click on the on-line NCAA rule book- "Mens and Womens Basketball Rules and Interpretations". Then look it up in rule 4 also. If an official used the travelling signal for the violation of moving outside the 3-foot wide throw-in area, then the official was technically wrong.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules.html

Pay up, Doug.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
From the NFHS rule book - rule 4-41-6NOTE- "Pivot-foot restrictions and the travelling rule are not in effect on the throw-in'.

The NCAA rule is the same. Click on the link below, and then click on the on-line NCAA rule book- "Mens and Womens Basketball Rules and Interpretations". Then look it up in rule 4 also. If an official used the travelling signal for the violation of moving outside the 3-foot wide throw-in area, then the official was technically wrong.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules.html

Pay up, Doug.
Here's a prediction -- unless he can "see it himself" he won't pay up . The NFHS doesn't put their books online since it is a significant revenue source for them, but all the citations are there.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If an official used the travelling signal for the violation of moving outside the 3-foot wide throw-in area, then the official was technically wrong.
What is the proper mechanic?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:14am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ColeTops25
Quote:
If an official used the travelling signal for the violation of moving outside the 3-foot wide throw-in area, then the official was technically wrong.
What is the proper mechanic?
Dunno about propriety.
I will blow the whistle, "two" point to the floor and "four" point the other way.
(Of course, first I'd have to see what the score is. )
mick
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Correct Mechanic

Blow whistle, Raise open hand (indicates violation)

Point to spot of the "designated" throw-in.

Point in direction of the non-violating teams' basket, as they are now the new inbounding team.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Re: Correct Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Point in direction of the non-violating teams' basket, as they are now the new inbounding team.
Bu..., but, what if the throw-in is end line, front court?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
(Of course, first I'd have to see what the score is. )
mick
That is too funny.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Correct Mechanic

Almost...

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Blow whistle, Raise open hand (indicates violation)

Point to spot of the "designated" throw-in.

After pointing to the "designated" spot, sweep the hand along the endline to indicate motion away from the spot.

Then indicate the direction.