The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   30 Second Replacement (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1255-30-second-replacement.html)

Mark Dexter Thu Dec 14, 2000 07:49pm

During the 30-second TO for replacing a disqualified/injured player, is there a warning horn, and if so, when?

PAULK1 Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:18pm

No warning horn. After letting the coach know he has to
replace a disqualified player instruct the timer to let you know when 30 sec is over.

Dennis Flannery Fri Dec 15, 2000 01:43am

To avoid any problems with the coach not getting a sub in within the 30 second time limit...I have the timer tell me when we reach 20 seconds, so that I can tell the coach that there is only 10 seconds left.

AK ref SE Fri Dec 15, 2000 02:38pm

I agree that a coach has a 30 seconds with no warning horn. But, Dennis is not wrong in my book. Instructing a timer to give a warning at 20 seconds is good preventive officiating!

AK ref SE

jweiler Sun Dec 17, 2000 01:30pm

Why not use a warning horn?

Have the timer sound a warning horn, then there is no doubt to anyone in the place that his time is running out.

mikesears Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:10am

My Two Cents Worth

I really don't have any preference but here is why I believe there should be no warning horn.

#1. The warning horn in all other situations indicates to the referees and to the table that no player may be allowed to enter the game (during a time-out or end of quarter). I don't think using the warning horn as a "you're running out of time" warning would pose a problem but you never know.

#2. The coach should be looking to find a replacement immediately. Many of the coaches I know would not replace the player until the horn went off. Leave the coaches guessing as to how much time is left! - Again, I don't see much of a problem with this.

Just my two cents worth about possible reasons that there is no warning horn.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 18, 2000 06:25pm

Confusion on situation

What gets me is that the rulebook says nothing about a warning horn, yet the "instructions to timers" sheet (by the NFHS) says sound a horn at 20 sec.

PAULK1 Mon Dec 18, 2000 07:52pm

Are you sure that is not for the new 30 sec time out.

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 18, 2000 09:11pm

Even more confusion

Quote:

Originally posted by PAULK1
Are you sure that is not for the new 30 sec time out.
The NFHS instructions say just sound horn at the end.

The IAABO instructions say "warning signal" with ten seconds left.

Leggs45 Wed Dec 20, 2000 01:27am

The other night, I had team A's coach try to tell my partner and I that team B's coach was not allowed to have his players huddle near their bench while the 30 second clock was running after a player had picked up her 5th foul.

I told him that there was no such rule and that I was 99.99% sure that that was not the case. As long as the remaing four (4) players stayed on the court, he could talk to them.