The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

I did my first varsity boys' game of the season the other night. I had done nothing but varsity girls (and one JV boys) up until then. For the whole first quarter, I felt my whistle AND eyesight were a step or two behind. I felt better the second quarter and ended up feeling very good about the second half.

Anyone else ever experience the same thing? Is there anything to try to do to get your brain ready for the change?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
It's called nervousness. You have to mentally imagine situations that occure to get ready for the challenge. When I have been thinking about a game all day, then I am ready when it comes game time. When I haven't, it may be period or two to get ready. When I have never seen this level at all, then it may take a while to get into the flow of the game. Sometimes there is no substitue for experience, even if the experience is one game.

When I first called a men's open division at BCI,(boys entering college) I was way out of tune for the first half. I had only seen that good of basketball on TV. But as I adjusted and started to call my game consistant with my partner, the game went smooth.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 02:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Sometimes, at the beginning of a game (especially if you are "moving up in class"), your mind set is that of a spectator, not an official and you may find yourself "watching the game as a fan", not as an official. You must just have the mental concentration and disipline to shake yourself out of it and start officiating.

Of course, this never happens to me (some coaches would say it never happens to me because I never shake out of it and just observe the entire game)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I am no where near as far up the "ladder" as Indy-ref, but my experience in moving up to JV during summer ball this summer was exactly as Mark describes. I spent the whole first half of that first game thinking, "Why didn't the ref call that?" My next JV game, I scheduled an 8th grade girls game earlier in the day, to get my head into the proper alignment and it helped a lot! (You'd never have known it to listen to the coaches!)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

This happens to me every year when I do the transition from Girls' BB to Boys'BB (here in Mi. the seasons go back to back). The speed, jumping ability, screening contact, seem overwhelming in the first few moments. but you adjust rather quickly. Or at least you had better!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 05:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I spent the whole first half of that first game thinking, "Why didn't the ref call that?"
Julie - please tell me it wasn't in a game we worked together
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Nervousness Prior to Games

What you described happens to most officials when they first move up a level. What I generally tell these people when they are working with me is to key of me to get a feel for the flow of the game .Always have a good Pre-game-this will prepare you and get you into the game before it starts. In Canada our officials always have a short talk with both coaches prior to the game where we introduce ourselves etc. This procedure is very good at breaking the ice- so to speak- and making the official, who is new to the level feel more at home.This will go a long way to overcoming that initial nervousness.
YIBB
Pistol
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 07:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

It will pass

This is very normal when you have not done a game of that level. It just takes a few games to get that feeling to go away. It is very natural, we all go thru it, you will get over it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I did my first varsity boys' game of the season the other night. I had done nothing but varsity girls (and one JV boys) up until then. For the whole first quarter, I felt my whistle AND eyesight were a step or two behind. I felt better the second quarter and ended up feeling very good about the second half.

Anyone else ever experience the same thing? Is there anything to try to do to get your brain ready for the change?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

I can real feel for what you are saying in Ga usually
you call a Var. girls and a Var. boys back to back.
after watching the girls for a game when the boys game first
starts out it seems like everything is a blur and moving twice as fast, Just relax your eyes will adjust soon enough.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Julie - please tell me it wasn't in a game we worked together
Mark, sorry it took so long to respond. My 2-yr old unplugged the computer last night to get my attention -- HEY!! it worked!!

No, it wasn't you. In fact, this guy was almost as good as you -- it was me who wasn't blowing the whistle!