The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I had a game last week where B1 would yell at A1 while he attempted shot. The first time I shifted my eyes out of AOR when i first heard it. The second time the guy had beat him on the break, so I felt it was out of frustration, but the third time we gave him a warning for USL Conduct. Does anyone know if the rule book in/directly address this distraction tactic. I've seen some yell at the freethrower on the line, could this be construed as a lane violation? I've seen one of the threads before that covered players waving their hands while in the lane during freethrows that touch on it briefly, but i was wondering would this be a violation or penalized like obstructing player view? (Technical)

Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
I had a game last week where B1 would yell at A1 while he attempted shot. The first time I shifted my eyes out of AOR when i first heard it. The second time the guy had beat him on the break, so I felt it was out of frustration, but the third time we gave him a warning for USL Conduct. Does anyone know if the rule book in/directly address this distraction tactic. I've seen some yell at the freethrower on the line, could this be construed as a lane violation? I've seen one of the threads before that covered players waving their hands while in the lane during freethrows that touch on it briefly, but i was wondering would this be a violation or penalized like obstructing player view? (Technical)

On a shot, it's nothing. On a free throw, it's disconcertion. (FED 9-1-5)

"Obstructing player view" is a T only if the player is not in control of the ball (e.g., to prevent the player from catching a pass). (FED 10-3-8d)
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF

On a shot, it's nothing. On a free throw, it's disconcertion. (FED 9-1-5)

"Obstructing player view" is a T only if the player is not in control of the ball (e.g., to prevent the player from catching a pass). (FED 10-3-8d)

Bob, would you always T a player for putting his hands in a player's face(an offensive player w/o the ball)? Or, would you customarily warn him once, providing the first incidence didn't cause a situation?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
Bob, would you always T a player for putting his hands in a player's face(an offensive player w/o the ball)? Or, would you customarily warn him once, providing the first incidence didn't cause a situation?
[/B]
The book says it's a T, not a warning, but I've never seen it happen, much less seen it called.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
I'll let you know as soon as I see it happen.

I suspect, much like the "enclosed by screening players" rule, that someone tried this somewhere, they put in a rule against it and everyone stopped.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I did have it happen in a jr. high girls game last year. I gave her a warning during a dead ball and she never did it again.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 02:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I had a boys game last week in which one of the players kept yelling "shot" everytime any shot went up from either team. At a break, I told him only girls do that.

He didn't do it again.

Frankly, I think it is just as annoying as when they yell "ball, ball" all the time. I usually tell them, "Yes, it is a ball. Is there anything else you would like me to identify for you?"

Sometimes they get it - sometimes.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Frankly, I think it is just as annoying as when they yell "ball, ball" all the time.

Oh, you mean "Ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball ball
ball ball ball ball ball....!!!!"?

A couple of years ago I was coaching an 8th grade
team that needed help on their defense. One practice
I taught them the "Ball ball ball" thing, but reminded them
to only say "Ball" when it comes into their zone. This
one kid (smallest, least athletic but brightest & most
enthusiastic) spend the next 10 minutes shouting
"Ball ball ball ball ball ball!" at the top of his
still soprano voice. After practice I needed 2 double
scotches to calm down.