The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I am new to officiating (meaning I just recently passed the test in my state and haven't done a game yet), but in preparing for the test I read about multiple fouls.

Just curious if anyone has ever made a call similar to what I've read in the rules or case book on multiple fouls (sorry I don't have the books in front of me, so I don't have pages) ...specifically, a situation where A1 is fouled by B2 and B3 as A1 takes a 3 pt. shot. If the shot is missed, A1 then gets four shots (two for each foul)? Just curious...I never saw it happen.

Thanks, and I enjoy all the posts.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 07:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

No I have not and probably never will. There are a lot of things in the rulebook that are not going to get called to the letter. For one, it really is not necessary in most situations to call a multiple foul. And if you did call it, no one would understand it or agree with it. But that is something you will learn as you progress as an official. Pick one and move on. Do not go looking for trouble and calling something that you might not apply properly and no one will understand if you applied properly.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

I would have to agree with the previous official. If you call those type of situations like you are talking about, then you are only asking for trouble. Just pick one foul, and go with it. Chances are that one of them had to fould just an instance before the other opponent fouled.

Go Jayhawks
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

How bout simultaneous fouls?

I've read the rule but have seen only one or two situations where I guess I could have called it... Anyone actually call these?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

what about a false double foul?

False double fouls is hardly ever called either, so what do u do let that go too, cause nobody would understand that rule either.

For example trail calls a foul for A1 who gets fouled by B1, who is in the act of shooting and basket goes in, than the lead official calls a player control foul on A1 who comes into B2 who was set.
So how do u explain to the coach if u wave 1 off and called just 1 of them when theres a possiblity that both coaches may know the rules of a false double foul, I know the fans will not.
I think if the rules is in the book and that situation come up, than u should call it whether they know the rules or not.
I think more officials should call it that way, if I was evaulating an official at least I know they understand the rules and not just the mere fact that a foul has occur cause any blowjoe can call a foul.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: what about a false double foul?

Quote:
Originally posted by march_madness
False double fouls is hardly ever called either...
Actually, false double fouls happen with some frequency.

Example: A1 commits a common foul on B1. A1 taunts B1 and gets a technical. You now have a false double foul.

You don't "call" a false double; they just happen.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 07:54am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: what about a false double foul?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by march_madness
False double fouls is hardly ever called either...
Actually, false double fouls happen with some frequency.

Example: A1 commits a common foul on B1. A1 taunts B1 and gets a technical. You now have a false double foul.

Another fairly common false double foul would be B1 committing a foul on A1, and during one of A1's free throws, an A player then commits a personal foul. This is a false double foul also. Of couse, if a B player commits a foul during one of A1's free throws, you then have a --tadaaa-- false multiple foul. False multiple fouls will occur during a game. Multiple fouls only exist in a small enclave outside of Toledo, Ohio.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I agree false double fouls do happen more often then you may think. Its just we don't think of them as FD. A1 fouls B1 and B1 retaliates by pushing A1.