The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the situation.

Coach gets a Technical. Then wants a Time Out. Take care of business first right? I was told by a couple of senior officials that free throws need to be shot, then I can grant the time out. Is this right? Other senior officials say, "why can't he have one then?"

Can the coach ICE the technical foul shooter? That doesn't seem right. I don't have books at home and I'm wondering about the rule here.
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 01:46pm
In Memoriam

Yes, the coach can have an immediate TO. Dead ball,right? There's no reason(or rule) not to give him the TO immediately.
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The only situation he wouldn't be able to get a TO is after the clock had expired and it was following a previous TO (succesive TO's). Otherwise he can have a TO before the first, between the first and second, and after the second if he wants to use that many.
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Tech

I was told that you would let both teams, go to the the free throw line with the shooter, let them shoot the technicals and then when the player gets back to the bench-- start the clock for the time out!

Take care!
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question Re: Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Foncal
I was told that you would let both teams, go to the the free throw line with the shooter, let them shoot the technicals and then when the player gets back to the bench-- start the clock for the time out!

Take care!
Why do you let the non-shooting players go to the FT area to administer Free-Throws awarded as a result of a technical foul?
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

free thow lane

I am sorry it was supposed to say: I was told that you would let both teams go to their benches, then a ref goes and adminiters the technical free throws, then when that player returns to the bench you start the clock for the time out.

Sorry about the confusion.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Otherwise he can have a TO before the first, between the first and second, and after the second if he wants to use that many.
No Time Outs before the first. Pretty sure I'm right on that.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
In theory, by shooting first no team really gains any advantage during normal game action. But with 30 seconds in to go in a close game, knowing whether the FT's are made or missed could greatly affect a coach's strategy. It also prevents a coach from "icing the shooter". Also delaying the TO could give the requesting coach time to realize he doesn't have anymore TO's, at which point he tells the ref not to grant it (of course that is up to the ref whether or not to accept the request, but if I had already delayed it I would feel inclined not to grant it if asked). There are just a number of things not granting the TO can cause to happen or not happen.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
In theory, by shooting first no team really gains any advantage during normal game action. But with 30 seconds in to go in a close game, knowing whether the FT's are made or missed could greatly affect a coach's strategy. It also prevents a coach from "icing the shooter". Also delaying the TO could give the requesting coach time to realize he doesn't have anymore TO's, at which point he tells the ref not to grant it (of course that is up to the ref whether or not to accept the request, but if I had already delayed it I would feel inclined not to grant it if asked). There are just a number of things not granting the TO can cause to happen or not happen.
But none of it has anything to do with whether it's legal to grant the time out before the FT's are taken. It's completely legal, and should not be denied. Period.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 02:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
Otherwise he can have a TO before the first, between the first and second, and after the second if he wants to use that many.
No Time Outs before the first. Pretty sure I'm right on that.

Guys, the rule couldn't be easier to administer.

NFHS rule 5-8-3- "Time-out occurs...when an official grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: (a)the ball is in control or at the disposal of his/her team (b)the ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified or injured player(s) or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute is available or required".

If a team has a live ball, then only that team can call a time-out. If the ball is dead,and you have 10 players on the floor, then either team can call a time-out. And get that time-out granted right away, immediately, muy pronto.