The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
A1 drives from outside the arch, B1 steps in (a hair late), Tweet "block;" Then a half second later A1 slams the ball on the ground, ball goes about 30 feet up. I of course am like "wha..?" so I bink(T) him!

I give Team B two shots, then, when I start to give team B the ball, A team is saying that it should be there ball (of course B takes advantage of the whining and scores a quick 2 with no Defense). Is this the right call? No bonus or shooting situation on the original block.

It seems right, but not really fair.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

If Team A is in the bonus or this was a shooting foul, then the FTs are shot.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
A1 drives from outside the arch, B1 steps in (a hair late), Tweet "block;" Then a half second later A1 slams the ball on the ground, ball goes about 30 feet up. I of course am like "wha..?" so I bink(T) him!

I give Team B two shots, then, when I start to give team B the ball, A team is saying that it should be there ball (of course B takes advantage of the whining and scores a quick 2 with no Defense). Is this the right call? No bonus or shooting situation on the original block.

It seems right, but not really fair.

FED or NCAA rules?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

This is under Fed rules (Intramural game w/ some mods). And there was NO bonus or shooting foul situation in effect at the time for either team.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds right. B should get two shots and the ball at midcourt. Why did A slam the ball down? Sounds like there was more to the situation.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

It's the rule and it is fair. Something has to discourage players from getting technicals. Two shots and the ball seems fair.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

More to situation

I think the reason A slammed the ball on the ground was because when he was blocked by B he got a facefull of arm, which I didn't see because I was T, all he did was go "damn it!" and slammed the ball on the ground, then team B players were all like "he can't do that." If I would have known that the ball slam was out of pain and not anger towards the player or me, I would have done things differently; but sadly I already blew the T before I could realize why exactly he slammed the ball on the ground. It's one of those crappy situations. It happened to me in football; I got tackled and screamed out the F bomb, unheard of from me before, but when my platella goes somewhere it shouldn't I react differently.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: More to situation

Quote:
If I would have known that the ball slam was out of pain and not anger towards the player or me, I would have done things differently; but sadly I already blew the T before I could realize why exactly he slammed the ball on the ground.
I don't know about how others feel, but slamming the ball 30ft in the air because your hurt is no excuse.
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Players have to be in control of their emotions. Sounds like you made the right call whether you think so or not. You said that this was rec or something, you taught the kid a lesson. When he gets to high school this behavior will not fly; now, I doubt he will even try it.
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

This was actually college intramural playoffs, second round; So he should have for sure learned by now!!

Thank you all for your replies! For those of you who are done, hope you had a good season; for those of you who still have games, Don't screw up too bad!!
Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was actually college intramural playoffs, second round; So he should have for sure learned by now!
The reality is... They need to be "retrained" if they actually did learn it earlier!

Secondly, the integrity of the game requires that you call this. Letting it slide will make it harder to control all aspects of the game; especially in intramural league.

Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Call

Good Call, and that is exactaly the way to handel the situation. Well done!

You can't let the players get away with that activity!

Take care!