The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Question from a fellow official at our Regional Tournament today. He had a situation. Tight game less 3 pts or less, not that it matters. There is a foul at the end of the 4th period as the horn goes off. There are free throws involved. Before the free thrower has the ball the oposing coach asks for a TO. The question from some is can the TO be granted after time has run out in the fourth quarter. I say yes there are others that say no. I seemed to have lost my case book, so I don't know if it is covered there. The closest rules citation I see is 5-12-3 saying "succesive" time outs shall not be granted after expiration of the 4th quarter. This leads me to believe that one would be granted. I also lean on "if it isn't specifically disallowed it is allowed". Any more rule or any case book citations would be appreciated, of course along with any comments and opinions.

thanks
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Question from a fellow official at our Regional Tournament today. He had a situation. Tight game less 3 pts or less, not that it matters. There is a foul at the end of the 4th period as the horn goes off. There are free throws involved. Before the free thrower has the ball the oposing coach asks for a TO. The question from some is can the TO be granted after time has run out in the fourth quarter. I say yes there are others that say no. I seemed to have lost my case book, so I don't know if it is covered there. The closest rules citation I see is 5-12-3 saying "succesive" time outs shall not be granted after expiration of the 4th quarter. This leads me to believe that one would be granted. I also lean on "if it isn't specifically disallowed it is allowed". Any more rule or any case book citations would be appreciated, of course along with any comments and opinions.

thanks

You are correct. There can be one and only one time request granted.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Tight game less 3 pts or less, not that it matters. There is a foul at the end of the 4th period as the horn goes off. There are free throws involved.
Actually, the score does matter. You would shoot the free throws only if they could change the outcome of the game.