The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I am a new official this year and have been doing a lot of jr. high games. I also play in an area rec league and we had a scenario come up last night that I was looking for some clarification on.

Player A attempted a shot in the lane and was well defended. The shot ended being an air ball that did not make contact with any part of the rim or backboard. Player A then cought his own shot before it hit the ground and went back up for an easy layup.

I was under the impression that this was a traveling violation. The official said that it is not considered traveling as long as player A made a legitimate attempt at shooting the ball.

Is this true or was this official blowing hot air??? Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hendoo
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Not traveling. If he had caught his own pass or an interrupted dribble then he would have traveled. Once a legal attempt is made he does not travel.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by hendoo_32
I am a new official this year and have been doing a lot of jr. high games. I also play in an area rec league and we had a scenario come up last night that I was looking for some clarification on.

Player A attempted a shot in the lane and was well defended. The shot ended being an air ball that did not make contact with any part of the rim or backboard. Player A then cought his own shot before it hit the ground and went back up for an easy layup.

I was under the impression that this was a traveling violation. The official said that it is not considered traveling as long as player A made a legitimate attempt at shooting the ball.

Is this true or was this official blowing hot air??? Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hendoo
You had a good official.
Maybe you had one from this forum.
Study, study, study.

Only in the NBA is that air-ball thing illegal.
mick
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Question Having a brain cramp.

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
Not traveling. If he had caught his own pass or an interrupted dribble then he would have traveled. Once a legal attempt is made he does not travel.
Ron,
When is catching an interrupted dribble illegal?
mick
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick response. This looks like a great forum and something I plan to use a lot in the future.

That official sucks and is definitely not from this forum. That was probably the only call he made correct all year.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. This looks like a great forum and something I plan to use a lot in the future.

That official sucks and is definitely not from this forum. That was probably the only call he made correct all year.
hendoo_32,
Welcome to the forum.
In most cases, it is advantageous to your officiating career to be a little more polite, or euphemistic, when describing a fellow official's work.
mick

Officials suck less than they blow.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I should have been more detailed. A1 may pick the ball up, i.e. recover the ball, but cannot dribble again after an interrupted dribble.. However, he could still shoot the ball. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I don't know whether I should be offended or ammused.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I don't know whether I should be offended or ammused.
Aw! That shoe don't fit yer foot.
mick
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Sorry about the mean remarks twords that official. He is one of those officials that does not take pride in his work and is only out there for the paycheck. I don't think he has crossed half court yet this year as a trail official. As a player I am fine with an official's judgement as long as he gets into proper position.

I look forward to future contributions/questions on this forum.

Thanks again,
Hendoo
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick,
I should have been more detailed. A1 may pick the ball up, i.e. recover the ball, but cannot dribble again after an interrupted dribble.. However, he could still shoot the ball. Sorry for the confusion.
Why can't A1 dribble again after the interrupted dribble? It's perfectly legal as long as A1 didn't end the dribble by letting the ball come to rest, or touch it with both hands at the same time. See casebook play 4.15.4SitD(b).
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Mick,
Why can't A1 dribble again after the interrupted dribble? It's perfectly legal as long as A1 didn't end the dribble by letting the ball come to rest, or touch it with both hands at the same time. See casebook play 4.15.4SitD(b).
I think the "pick the ballup" was meant to imply "end the dribble."

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Besides, this is a great way to boost your rebounds stats.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Sorry about the mean remarks twords that official. He is one of those officials that does not take pride in his work and is only out there for the paycheck. I don't think he has crossed half court yet this year as a trail official. As a player I am fine with an official's judgement as long as he gets into proper position.
I'm surprised that the other officials who responded to this thread let you off so easy. The first lesson that you need to learn is to respect other officials. This guy may not be the greatest thing to ever put on stripes but he is there, otherwise, you wouldn't be playing.

You're also making assumptions about the official. You have no way of knowing if he's "only out there for the paycheck." That's a stupid remark that fans, coaches, and players make when they don't like someone's officiating. You need to make up your mind if you're going to be a professional, whether you're officiating, watching or playing or if you're just going to act like everyone else.

Finally, you might consider that this official "sucks," yet he knew the rule and YOU did not. If he "sucks," where does that put you?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:16 PM]
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 06:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BBR makes a good point. There were a few changes I had to make when I decided to be a ref. The first was to quit bashing refs at the college games I was attending. The second was to give the refs the benefit of the doubt in most cases. The more you ref, the more you realize how difficult it is and the more you will cut the refs some slack when you think they made a mistake. For one, it may be that you are wrong and the call was correct.

Adam