The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

No matter the gym, unless it's the kind with the stage at the end of the baseline. Somehow, every now and again the cheerleaders really, 'get in the way'. My partner last nite was on a fast break and almost floored one. After that he asked them to squeeze it in while the ball is in their frontcourt. Because before they took up one half of the base line and kept us against the lane (closed down) on both ends, the whole game! With out taking away from the cheerleaders, does anyone have any suggestions?

Safety being First!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!

Hey, too bad for them...tell them to stay out of the way or you will ask them to move to a different part of the court. If there is no other place for them to go, they will just have to sit and watch the game from in front of the other cheerleaders and lead the cheers from the crowd.

Period!

The players demand and require you to be in position, and stay in position, at all times...regardless of the gym floor layout. Do whatever you must to get that needed position...even if you have to sacrifice the cheerleaders for one game. Please, do it as politely as you can though!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Re: AMEN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Hey, too bad for them...tell them to stay out of the way or you will ask them to move to a different part of the court. If there is no other place for them to go, they will just have to sit and watch the game from in front of the other cheerleaders and lead the cheers from the crowd.

Period!

The players demand and require you to be in position, and stay in position, at all times...regardless of the gym floor layout. Do whatever you must to get that needed position...even if you have to sacrifice the cheerleaders for one game. Please, do it as politely as you can though!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
In Washington State cheerleaders are not allowed on the endline anytime. So we don't have a problem.

I would suggest you move them off the endline and if anyone has a problem, tell the it's a safety issue for the cheerleaders, players and yourself.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

I use a basic rule of thumb. We are there for the players and coaches first. Therefore, I will show them before the game where we will be standing (if I know they will be there, if I don't and they are down there, then on a dead ball I'll let them know). I give them one chance to make sure they are out of my way, if they don't, I move em.

I had a cheerleader coach complain (giving me the whole they have a right to be there spiel)to me once after I made them move. I simply told her that the girls were getting in my way after I asked them not to. Now it is a safety issue; I am a lot bigger than they are If I am looking over my shoulder on a break,they get in the way and I don't see them, I will win and they will be hurt. She had never looked at it that way, and those girls stayed on the sidelines the rest of the night.

Plus, who wants to know they blew a call because the cheerleader got in the way.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
bad, bad cheerleaders...

I use the game administration folks for this problem. I simply let them know that the cheerleaders are affecting the way I call the game. It is their responsibility to handle them, not ours.

On the other hand, if they're cute...
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 03:04pm
Esteemed Participant

n Washington State cheerleaders are not allowed on the endline anytime. So we don't have a
problem.

Ron...where did that come from??Is that a WIAA directive or something...first I have ever heard of it, but it would sure make things easier!!

dj
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

cheerleaders

Ron, I don't know af any ruling from WIAA about cheerleaders on the endline. somethimes thast is the best place for them depending on the gym. could by that SOWB has made that ruling in your service area due to the lack of space on the end lines. Anytime that there is a matter of safety for the official or the cheerleaders of anytime they inhibit the officials responsibility towards game coverage---they move!!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wanna get rid of the cheerleaders?

Here's how you do it.

Ask one of the cheerleaders, "Did you read about the cheerleader in (insert local town here) who got ran over by a referee during a game?"

Works like a charm!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, at a lower level, what about delay of game?

Here we are ready to inbound the ball, partner and 10 players in place, and several cheerleaders still jumpin and yellin and generally carryin on all over the floor.

10, 15, 20 seconds later...

What can I do? What should I do?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Tell the coach if it happens again it is a T. He'll take care if it. I find it hard to believe that would happen. Most cheerleaders seem to be over concerned about holding up the game.

In fact just Tuesday I worked a JV game. When I came out to watch the Varsity game, they started with a T. One of the officials motioned to me that a kid dunked (on a side note, how dumb do you have to be to dunk in pregame?). Midway through the first quarter the cheerleader coach came up to me in the stands looking upset, and wanted to know what the T was for. I told her it was a dunk, and she let out a huge sigh. She though it was on her girls for being on the floor a little too long during pre-game. I assured her should would have known, if it was that.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Tell the coach if it happens again it is a T. He'll take care if it. I find it hard to believe that would happen.
Well, it didn't take 20 whole seconds, but it was long enough that I was just wondering when to worry. I had a very good and experienced partner, though, so I trusted to his judgment. Then after the game I forgot to ask about
this situation.

What I think you're saying is that the first word to the coach is the "warning," and then there comes the T next time? Just like other delay of game situations?

Thanks, that's helpful...
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I would do, but you have to look at the situation. Warnings don't hurt anyone, and it gives the coach a heads-up.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cheerleaders

I recently moved to Utah and have noticed that during high school games the cheerleaders do line up across the end lines. The lead official in weaving through them as he is moving to get in position. They holler and jump around during the visitor's freethrows.

Under what rule can an offical move them or T the team or keep them quiet and still during a freethrow.

Thanks

Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

As long as they are not on the floor during play (and being on the other end during free throws does not count), I don't know if there is a specific rule regading this. If I find myself having to "weave" (never have) I would probably pull the ol' rule on items not specifically covered, call it a hazard, and move 'em. Like I said before, We are there for the players and coaches, and we should not let anyone get it the way of that.

However, we must also recognize that they put in their time too, and deserve to be on the floor as well. We should compromise.