The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Hello guys and gals,

Could someone explain to me why you have to "sell" a call?
Such as the "block" or "charge". Many times I see officals come running out from underneath the basket to make a charge or a block call, and make a huge production. It seems to me you make the call go to the table report the number and go on. Who cares if anyone thinks you made a bad call. If you cant sell the call to yourself dont make the call and swallow the whistle.

The clinics I have been to, say do not bring attention to yourself, your goal is to go unnoticed during the game. When referee's try to sell a call they are only bringing attention to themselves. And the huge ego's I have run into some officials love to have the spotlight.

I was watching a game last year Wisconsin and Indiana. During the last 2 min of the game the referee's sold every call getting the Wiscosin players and fans all excited. These referee's played a major role in turning the game around. Those referee's determined the outcome of the game by their "Selling the Call"

Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 03:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
Those referee's determined the outcome of the game by their "Selling the Call"
Although I agree with much of what you said about selling a call (I don't feel you should need to do this - yeah, I know all the arguements in favor - we've discussed this before). But I must take issue with your comment above.

How can you state that the referees determined the outcome of the game if all they might have done was get players and fans excited. Notice you didn't say their calls were wrong, just "sold".

I'll bet none of the officials missed any shots, committed any turnovers or didn't block out on the boards during the entire game.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Smile selling the call

Mark,

I hope you did not take the comment personally about selling the call. I just feel a ref who sells a call hard is show boating and whats the attention.

Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

I think it is our duty to make sure that when we blow the whistle, we need to give the impression that "I saw it, and I'm sure of my call" attitude. That doesn't have to include a "show-boating" or a "look at me" attitude.

I think there is/can be a fine line in mastering this.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I think of selling the call as a quick, loud whistle and a quick, strong signal. This lets everyone know you are not undecided or confused. The only time you would not do this is if you hear a double whistle, then you look at your partner before giving a signal.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:21am
In Memoriam

Re: selling the call

Quote:
Mark,

I hope you did not take the comment personally about selling the call. I just feel a ref who sells a call hard is show boating and whats the attention.

Gee, Clay,
Officials can get excited during a game, just like anyone else.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

There probably is a fine line separating "selling a call" from "showboating".

IMHO, selling a call is for psychological reasons. We need to show confidence in our call or we subject ourselves to overt and covert questioning.

The game will go best when officials officiate, coaches coach and players play. When any one of those tries to fulfill one of the others' role (e.g., a player who tries to officiate), the game will deteriorate. That will not only affect our enjoyment of the evening but could have an effect on the outcome of the game. Elevated emotions can lead to technicals or fights or sub-par play/officiating/coaching. If we can help avoid that by displaying confidence in our calls, we should do so.

But, I agree that an official can go too far in selling a particular call or in selling too many calls. Calling too much attention to ourselves could create other negative emotions. I don't think we need to sell calls at the table for instance. We just need to do so at the point of the foul, when warranted.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 11:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face Re: selling the call

Quote:
Mark,

I never take any post personally (unlike some people here - I won't mention any names but his initials are, well, never mind), and I thought I was clear that my only issue was the comment about the officials determining the outcome of the game by "selling their calls".

In fact, I usually take issue with those who say that one "wrong" call determined the outcome of a game.

I do agree with you that there is a big difference between an official calling with confidence and one who showboats.

It reminds me of a comment Ed Hightower has made many times: "Be in control of the game without controlling the game." Very good advice.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
One thing you are missing is that when the whistle blows, everyone in the arena will be looking at the official to see what he has. If you blow that whistle you will be selling yourself every time. I sometimes sell the call by being nonchillant(sp?) about my signal as if everyone in the building should have the same call I have. I have often had to go the other way. When it is block/charge and it could go either way, you have to step forward with a decisive decission and sell it to the world that you were looking at the defense and have the right call.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Tim, We have to sell the tough call. I think that gives us more credibility! If we sell one or two calls a game, I believe it gives the impression that we know what we are doing, and like what we are doing. If we make every call look the same, I feel that fans,coaches, and players may feel that we are bored or uninterested!