The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Angle on a three if you're the trail (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12400-angle-three-if-youre-trail.html)

OverAndBack Sun Feb 22, 2004 08:45pm

I'm trail, late in the game on the right side of the front court, with the action in front of me. Since my partner is L on the far side, we have it boxed in.

A1 takes a shot from either right at, or right behind the three point line on right wing, but in front of me. Because of my angle (making sure I have the sideline and the halfcourt line covered in case B tips the ball back or makes a steal), I cannot see the front of A1's foot (his body is in the way). If I can't see space between his toes and the three point line, I can't call a three from there. My partner was watching his area, and couldn't see it. Coach thought it was a three. I had to call two because I couldn't see it from my angle. Luckily it wasn't a three to tie, but I think that I'm in correct position and right to not call a three if I'm not sure it's a three.

Again, this is two-whistle. A third whistle would have picked it up, I reckon.

PAULK1 Sun Feb 22, 2004 08:59pm

Quote:

I cannot see the front of A1's foot (his body is in the way). If I can't see space between his toes and the three point line
which means you are straight lined when you are on the player with the ball you must move to a position so that you can see between the player and the defense. At the trail this is called working the arc.

Bart Tyson Sun Feb 22, 2004 09:19pm

Quote:

Luckily it wasn't a three to tie, but I think that I'm in correct position

Again, this is two-whistle. A third whistle would have picked it up, I reckon. [/B]
No, you are not in the correct position. As PAULK1 said, you must get in position to see the play. Don't worry about the ball going the other way. Ref the moment. In a 3-person crew it would be the same.

OverAndBack Mon Feb 23, 2004 06:08am

Okay, that's helpful, thanks.

mick Mon Feb 23, 2004 09:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
Okay, that's helpful, thanks.
"Anticipate the play, not the call." ;)
mick

Mregor Mon Feb 23, 2004 09:36am

A step or two towards the middle of the court and back will give you the angle you need to see the play. If the play then moves toward you, move again to get an angle.

Mregor

OverAndBack Mon Feb 23, 2004 09:43am

You know, that's more help than I got from my partner yesterday. :)

DJ Mon Feb 23, 2004 09:49am

Close

When it is that close to a three that I can't tell if it is a three then I call it a three because it is within and inch or so of being a long enough shot for a three. When in doubt I call it a three! I hate to penalize a kid that has made a awfull long shot because I did not have the angle. It's not his fault!

Bart Tyson Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:00am

Re: Close

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ
When it is that close to a three that I can't tell if it is a three then I call it a three because it is within and inch or so of being a long enough shot for a three. When in doubt I call it a three! I hate to penalize a kid that has made a awfull long shot because I did not have the angle. It's not his fault!
DJ, I do believe the powers above at all levels want just the opposite. Only sig. 3 when absolutely sure.

tharbert Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:12am

I'm with BT here! You made the right call as far as your posting went. Since you weren't sure, it's 2 points.

mick Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:12am

Re: Re: Close

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

Originally posted by DJ
DJ, I do believe the powers above at all levels want just the opposite. Only sig. 3 when absolutely sure.

I'm with you, Bart.
There have been a few times when I didn't make it there and I had to say a quick prayer for a miss. It usually works. :cool:
mick

OverAndBack Mon Feb 23, 2004 02:04pm

I will work for better position next time.

I have already found myself doing that on other plays, and it's helpful (and shows that you're paying attention :) ).

footlocker Mon Feb 23, 2004 02:15pm

BTW, getting to the right spot on the floor so you're not straight-lined will not just help you make the right call for a three or not. You would have missed a push on the play you originally described. I work real hard to work an active trail. The angles are always changing. If you end up getting too low, no problem. Just bust tail to get to the new lead. This will pay off in the long run.

dhodges007 Tue Feb 24, 2004 02:13pm

Re: Re: Re: Close

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

I'm with you, Bart.
There have been a few times when I didn't make it there and I had to say a quick prayer for a miss. It usually works. :cool:
mick [/B]
LOL ROFL

Back In The Saddle Tue Feb 24, 2004 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by footlocker
BTW, getting to the right spot on the floor so you're not straight-lined will not just help you make the right call for a three or not. You would have missed a push on the play you originally described. I work real hard to work an active trail. The angles are always changing. If you end up getting too low, no problem. Just bust tail to get to the new lead. This will pay off in the long run.

I agree totally. One caveat, however. I have made a habbit of stepping down toward the basket on shots when I'm trail. It helps get me in position to referee any rebounding action and it keeps me from bailing on my partner. However, in cases where you have three or four shots, you can end up nearly on the baseline if you don't pay attention :D