Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Y'all need to chill a little.
I'm a pretty hard person to offend... but when you make fun of "retarded individuals," that's pretty lame.

Z
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Of course one man's booger is another man's declaration of war...obviously to Chuck this was a big deal and he tried to fix it,
You know, I wouldn't say that this was a big deal. I just noticed it. And it clicked in my head that it's not supposed to happen. You know what I'd compare it to? Not having an AP arrow at the table for a varsity game.

Is that a big deal? Not really, no. We're keeping track of the arrow, and it's probably on the scoreboard, too. But by rule, there has to be an arrow at the table. It's obvious, and it's pretty easy to fix. So do you ask them to go dig their arrow out of the equipment closet? (Or dig your stuffed parrot out of your gym bag?)

Yes, I do. This was the same sort of thing.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Band

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Now here's the funny part.

You will never ever get another game at that school. !!! [b]

Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Dan_Ref, its seems you have a problem with Me. Tooo Bad.
I didn't edit a quote of yours and promote it as what you intended to say. And I certainly never implied you referee by "complaint".

So what can I say...except backatchya buddy.. :shrug:
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I didn't edit a quote of yours and promote it as what you intended to say. And I certainly never implied you referee by "complaint".
[/B]
I didn't edit a quote to try to take a comment out of context. I edit to avoid making everyone reread parts that don't interest me to talk about. Frankly I wasn't trying to be critical of anyone. In fact I didn't even look to see who wrote it. I think a couple of post stated something about no objections from the opponent then as an official no problem. I just grabbed the 1st post as i was looking back through the post, it must have been yours I guess, because I still havn't looked back to see who wrote it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Good Luck Sweety, but I'm sure you are fine the way you are.

Sweety?

Sweeeety???

Oh,my! Juulie, please put away that "Do It Yourself Orchidectomy" book. That may be just a tad drastic. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't worry, JR. As I said earlier, I'm feeling a little under the weather today. It is nice to understand a little more about RookieDude -- like, that he played at the University of Colorado!

[Edited by rainmaker on Feb 22nd, 2004 at 07:05 PM]
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Good Luck Sweety, but I'm sure you are fine the way you are.

Sweety?

Sweeeety???

Oh,my! Juulie, please put away that "Do It Yourself Orchidectomy" book. That may be just a tad drastic.
Don't worry, JR. As I said earlier, I'm feeling a little under the weather today. It is nice to understand a little more about RookieDude -- like, that he played at the University of Colorado!

[Edited by rainmaker on Feb 22nd, 2004 at 07:05 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]

OOOooooooo thats cold.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:34am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[
Did you say Washington State?

Nah....you aint big timing us... [/B]
Hey now...wait a minute there Yankee Boy...is this where I should throw in all my WA State tournament bio stuff??? Nah - let's talk about all the rain instead...
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This post is coming from a 40+ year old guy that has officiated 15 years...not a Rookie as the name implies.

Chuck, you seem like a very intelligent guy. Your rules knowledge is superb and you are highly respected on this forum.
BUT, I must say...if you are worried about a band member doing something with his drum during a game and your R dosen't care (along with apparently no one else in the gym)you are indeed getting to "rule booky".

You are probably at the point where calling the game is coming very easy...so therfore, you may go "looking for stuff".
IMHO I would just say call the game and pick your rule book battles a little more wisely. BTW, I thought you did a great job not pressing the issue with your partner...you told him what the rule was and you BOTH decided against enforcing it. I would venture to bet you BOTH didn't enforce the Coach's Box rule to the letter that game either.
So don't sweat the little stuff, unless of course you have an anal assignor, then do what ya gotta do for your area.
Dude, this is not nothing. Do you know what law enforcement's experience is with the 'little stuff'. They used to think you could safely ignore it, concentrate on the big stuff. Turns out that the dark side was taking its cues from the small stuff. Directors of successful YMCA's fix broken windows the same day - before the appearance of 'it's alright, we're down at the heels' sets in.

There's nothing alright about the drumming. The fact that it's routine does not abate that. I'd throw the kid out of the gym. Do the work.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff the Ref says its "not nothing"...fine, "throw the kid out of the gym" if that's your way of officiating.
I'm just giving my point of view...thank you for yours.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
[

Nah....you aint big timing us...
Hey now...wait a minute there Yankee Boy...is this where I should throw in all my WA State tournament bio stuff??? Nah - let's talk about all the rain instead... [/B]
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[

Nah....you aint big timing us...
Hey now...wait a minute there Yankee Boy...is this where I should throw in all my WA State tournament bio stuff??? Nah - let's talk about all the rain instead... [/B]
Hey rockyroad...what tourney are you doing this year? My email is down, so you'll have to post here if you don't mind.
Also, Z...where will you be this year?
Oh yeah...and Ron from Seattle, you?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[

Hey rockyroad...what tourney are you doing this year? My email is down, so you'll have to post here if you don't mind.
Also, Z...where will you be this year?
Oh yeah...and Ron from Seattle, you?
Shhhhh...keep it quiet, but I didn't do any HS this season, so I can't go to a State tourny...but don't let anyone else know or they won't let me answer any HS questions on the board here...seriously tho, where are you going? I think Ron Pilo has to sit out a year, but I've been wrong before...
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
QUOTE]

Shhhhh...keep it quiet, but I didn't do any HS this season, so I can't go to a State tourny...but don't let anyone else know or they won't let me answer any HS questions on the board here...seriously tho, where are you going? I think Ron Pilo has to sit out a year, but I've been wrong before...
I thought Ron had surgery this last year that kept him out. Or was that a couple years ago? Been away from Seattle too long to remember.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, let me get this thing back on track. Here's the question again: what kinds of technical rule applications are worth acting on?

Is the concensus here that anything off the floor (which includes the benches) is ignored unless specifically brought to our attention?

So the band is really none of my business. Laser pointers, noise makers -- leave it alone, unless somebody notices and then let game management deal with it. Am I warm here?

Again, this is not sarcasm. I'm trying to find my way between knowing what the rule is and running a good game.