The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Scenario: A1 is dribbling the ball in FC being guarded by B1. A2 goes to set pick but instead, slams into B1 for a foul. Team B is in the bonus. I call a pushing foul on A2 and signal "1 and 1". My partner quickly corners me and says "no foul, its offensive, we don't shoot, possession. I'm a little stunned but I go along w his statement. We don't shoot. I can't find anything in the rules book that backs up what my partner said. Its not "offensive" (I don't think). And, I can't find anything that says "offensive" in the rule book. Only "player control"..Can anyone please advise me what is right here? Appreciate your expertise....

Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Your partner is either watching too much NBA, or has the NCAA rulebook in his head. In the NBA, no shots are awarded on any "offensive foul". In the NCAA, no shots are awarded for any "team control foul". The idea is the same, although the application is a little different in the details.

In any case, if you were working a high school game or using NFHS rules, you should've shot 1-and-1.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ixic130
Scenario: A1 is dribbling the ball in FC being guarded by B1. A2 goes to set pick but instead, slams into B1 for a foul. Team B is in the bonus. I call a pushing foul on A2 and signal "1 and 1". My partner quickly corners me and says "no foul, its offensive, we don't shoot, possession. I'm a little stunned but I go along w his statement. We don't shoot. I can't find anything in the rules book that backs up what my partner said. Its not "offensive" (I don't think). And, I can't find anything that says "offensive" in the rule book. Only "player control"..Can anyone please advise me what is right here? Appreciate your expertise....

Your partner was thinking of NCAA rules. Team control fouls (which this would be) do not result in free throws. High school rules do not make this distinction unless the guilty party has the ball.