The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Anyone see the highlights of the Wisconsin-Illinois game. I think that was the game but Wisconsin came out wearing red and the Illini in Orange. The two colors were almost identical, especially on TV you couldn't really tell who was who. What all would you do in a situation like this?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I've been there, make one team change-(home). The game I had earlier this year was 8th grade boys. There was nothing to change into. We went red and orange. Not ideal.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
I've seen it and one team was required to wear pinnies. Of course, this wasn't college and the game wasn't televised!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Personally I'd have sent Illinois back to the locker room to put on their home whites.

That said, the Illini had gotten approval from the Big10 office to where their Orange uniforms, even if Wisonsin was wearing their normal road reds.

Grail
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

red - orange - wth - that way

Came home from working 2 games last night, had the VCR set to get the Ill-Wis game..rewound tape and said whoooa, they are all wearing same color..not fun..thought it might be the old VCR and an old tape..no luck..made comment to my wife regarding how us ref guys would call a color like orange if the uni's were V - orange H - white...she commented must be something wrong with us ref guys orange shouldn't be any big deal and you should just yell out ORANGE!!

I will never win that one so I'm just going to say okay dear.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 01:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

You want confusion, try dealing with 3 colors.

A couple of years ago, the one recreation-style weekend tournament I always work at had a semifinal where both teams had the same gray tournament shirts. the host's solution - give one of the teams leftover shirts. some were green (I think) and some were white. I still remember changing numbers on my scoresheet to 6W and 6G.

I'm surprised we didn't have calls that went something like "Off green, white ball... err gray ball."

Moral of the story: three colors are not always better than one.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I did an 8th grade girls game once a year or two ago, where both teams showed up in EXACTLY the same uniforms, right down to the matching striped socks. We waited 15 minutes or so while the host team scrounged up some pinnies. The interesting part was to hear one coach try to blame it on the other. "It said right on the paper we received that every team should come prepared with two colors of jersey!" Now THAT took ba... I mean, onions.!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I actually have pennies, two sets of a dozen each. Must have two colors because if I only had one, with my luck it be the same as the two teams playing.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Must have two colors because if I only had one, with my luck it be the same as the two teams playing.
Great point!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

When you have both teams wearing the same color, direct the scorekeeper to keep only one set of fouls for both teams. Then, when the number of fouls reaches 5 for a certain number, both players with that number are disqualified.

Be sure to explain this to the coaches before the game.

I bet you a double cheeseburger one team would somehow mysteriously "find" another set of jerseys.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
When you have both teams wearing the same color, direct the scorekeeper to keep only one set of fouls for both teams. Then, when the number of fouls reaches 5 for a certain number, both players with that number are disqualified.

I bet you a double cheeseburger one team would somehow mysteriously "find" another set of jerseys.
Mark -- You get five extra stars in your crown for not suggesting shirts and skins. It's such a tired joke...
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Mark -- You get five extra stars in your crown for not suggesting shirts and skins. It's such a tired joke...
I only suggest shirts and skins for volleyball.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 12:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I only suggest shirts and skins for volleyball.
Aren't the women wearing body paint these days, especially from the waist down?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 12:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I honestly didn't watch the game because I couldn't enjoy it with everyone wearing what looked like red uniforms.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Only teams ever to look good in orange are Syracuse & the Netherlands soccer team.

(that's right, I mentioned a soccer team!)