The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just because I know y'all will set me straight, tell me if I'm reading the rule correctly and applying it correctly:

1-Player with basketball goes down to his/her knees while holding ball. TRAVELING (Rule 4-43 Article 5: "A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.")

2-Same player goes to knees but continues to dribble. NOT TRAVELING. (One of the fundamentals is that it's impossible to travel during a dribble)

3-Player already on his or her knees because of a scramble for the ball comes into possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING as long as he/she doesn't attempt to stand up. They can pass or shoot from their knees, but if they attempt to get up, it's a travel, right?

4-Player dives on floor (along with others) and gains possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING unless the player rolls away from a defender, right? They can pass or (though it's logistically unlikely) shoot, or call time out, as long as they don't roll away from a defender. Or is it just rolling in general?

Thanks. Sorry for those of you for whom these are obvious.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
1-Player with basketball goes down to his/her knees while holding ball. TRAVELING (Rule 4-43 Article 5: "A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.")
Correct.

Quote:
2-Same player goes to knees but continues to dribble. NOT TRAVELING. (One of the fundamentals is that it's impossible to travel during a dribble)
Could even be a different player!

Quote:
3-Player already on his or her knees because of a scramble for the ball comes into possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING as long as he/she doesn't attempt to stand up. They can pass or shoot from their knees, but if they attempt to get up, it's a travel, right?
They can start a dribble from their position on the floor, and then attempt to get up, that's legal.

Quote:
4-Player dives on floor (along with others) and gains possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING unless the player rolls away from a defender, right? They can pass or (though it's logistically unlikely) shoot, or call time out, as long as they don't roll away from a defender. Or is it just rolling in general?
Rolling in general, unless it's just rolling from the momentum, which incidentally we don't all agree about.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent question for a rook to ask O&B...I wish I had asked the same question in the same manner two seasons ago when I got started. Now in my third season I got sit 3 wrong a few weeks or so ago. I didn't see the player begin a dribble while getting up and quickly whistled a travel. Boy, did I get fussed at.

Now, let's all argue about momentum......and how much movement constitutes rolling..... what if momentum causes the roll?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Also, another good one, player goes up for rebound, lands on his feet, then falls on his a$$. Always a travel.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Also, another good one, player goes up for rebound, lands on his feet, then falls on his a$$. Always a travel.
Actually, he doesn't even have to land on his feet first. If he jumps, catches the ball while in the air, and then lands on anything but his hands and feet, it is a travel.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Unless he gets rid of the ball on the way down, right?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Air travel!

You can travel all you want in the air as long as you don't run into someone or something! There are no frequent flier miles that can awarded!