The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question about foul on inbounds play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12329-question-about-foul-inbounds-play.html)

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:59am

I don't think you can assess a T. The player hasn't left the court. I think we are talking about a player who has a foot on the line or part of the foot oob. Players go off the inbounds area all the time as part of the game. We would have a lot of T's.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 19, 2004 01:44pm

If were are talking about a throwin after a made basket, then a teammate of the thrower can, by rule, legally be OOB along the endline where the throwin is occuring.

DownTownTonyBrown Thu Feb 19, 2004 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
If were are talking about a throwin after a made basket, then a teammate of the thrower can, by rule, legally be OOB along the endline where the throwin is occuring.

Yes but the obvious purpose of that is to receive a pass on the OOB side of the line. Setting a screen is not that situation and if he received a pass with one foot in and the other OOB... we've got a throw-in violation, ball to the other team.

In fact, didn't we have a clarification this year that a throw-in must be from completely OOB - one foot in one foot out is not allowed?

Don't know that I like the new foot-out-of-bounds rule (I would have a very difficult time calling a block, if I felt the dribbler, and I hate to use the word intentionally, so let's say with deliberateness, created the contact). The new rule/clarification however, doesn't leave much room for discussion. I think the only lattitude an official has is to either see the foot OOB or to "not notice its OOB placement." And with that you may be on a sinking boat because somebody else, like the coach who is 5 feet from the collision, DOES NOTICE the OOB placement and wants the proper call to be made.... independent of deliberateness or intent.

A screener OOB is a new twist but I'm inclined to go along with the premise that play must take place inside the lines.

Adam Thu Feb 19, 2004 06:00pm

I guess my understanding of the rule change is that it affects legal guarding position, which only really affects a call when the defender is moving. If a stationary defender has his back turned to an offensive player yet gets hammered, I'm not calling a block; even though he never had LGP. Same scenario here, just because he doesn't have LGP doesn't mean he's not entitled to his spot on the floor. A screener never has LGP and the incumbant right to move, so I don't think it applies.

I see LGP and right to a spot as two separate issues, I guess, and I'm having a hard time equating the loss of LGP with a loss to the right to a spot; or equating not having LGP with not having a right to a spot.
If the screener has a foot on the line, and the screened decides to shove his way through; LGP has nothing to do with it, IMHO.

Adam

ChuckElias Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
I guess my understanding of the rule change is that it affects legal guarding position, which only really affects a call when the defender is moving.
Then, respectfully, your understanding of the rule change is incorrect. A defender, even if completly stationary, is now required to have neither foot OOB when contact occurs, in order for a PC foul to occur. Go back and re-read JR's post and the link he provided. The game is to played inside the boundary lines. That is clearly the interpretation for defenders.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the interpretation is the same for a screener.