The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Not Your Average Travel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12299-not-your-average-travel.html)

OverAndBack Mon Feb 16, 2004 05:51pm

Just because I know y'all will set me straight, tell me if I'm reading the rule correctly and applying it correctly:

1-Player with basketball goes down to his/her knees while holding ball. TRAVELING (Rule 4-43 Article 5: "A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.")

2-Same player goes to knees but continues to dribble. NOT TRAVELING. (One of the fundamentals is that it's impossible to travel during a dribble)

3-Player already on his or her knees because of a scramble for the ball comes into possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING as long as he/she doesn't attempt to stand up. They can pass or shoot from their knees, but if they attempt to get up, it's a travel, right?

4-Player dives on floor (along with others) and gains possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING unless the player rolls away from a defender, right? They can pass or (though it's logistically unlikely) shoot, or call time out, as long as they don't roll away from a defender. Or is it just rolling in general?

Thanks. Sorry for those of you for whom these are obvious.

rainmaker Mon Feb 16, 2004 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
1-Player with basketball goes down to his/her knees while holding ball. TRAVELING (Rule 4-43 Article 5: "A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.")
Correct.

Quote:

2-Same player goes to knees but continues to dribble. NOT TRAVELING. (One of the fundamentals is that it's impossible to travel during a dribble)
Could even be a different player!

Quote:

3-Player already on his or her knees because of a scramble for the ball comes into possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING as long as he/she doesn't attempt to stand up. They can pass or shoot from their knees, but if they attempt to get up, it's a travel, right?
They can start a dribble from their position on the floor, and then attempt to get up, that's legal.

Quote:

4-Player dives on floor (along with others) and gains possession of the ball. NOT TRAVELING unless the player rolls away from a defender, right? They can pass or (though it's logistically unlikely) shoot, or call time out, as long as they don't roll away from a defender. Or is it just rolling in general?
Rolling in general, unless it's just rolling from the momentum, which incidentally we don't all agree about.

Ballen Mon Feb 16, 2004 06:50pm

Excellent question for a rook to ask O&B...I wish I had asked the same question in the same manner two seasons ago when I got started. Now in my third season I got sit 3 wrong a few weeks or so ago. I didn't see the player begin a dribble while getting up and quickly whistled a travel. Boy, did I get fussed at.

Now, let's all argue about momentum......and how much movement constitutes rolling..... what if momentum causes the roll?

ref18 Mon Feb 16, 2004 08:00pm

Also, another good one, player goes up for rebound, lands on his feet, then falls on his a$$. Always a travel.

Nevadaref Fri Feb 20, 2004 06:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Also, another good one, player goes up for rebound, lands on his feet, then falls on his a$$. Always a travel.
Actually, he doesn't even have to land on his feet first. If he jumps, catches the ball while in the air, and then lands on anything but his hands and feet, it is a travel.

OverAndBack Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:03am

Unless he gets rid of the ball on the way down, right?

DJ Fri Feb 20, 2004 02:56pm

Air travel!

You can travel all you want in the air as long as you don't run into someone or something! There are no frequent flier miles that can awarded!