The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12271-jump-ball-violation.html)

Adam Sat Feb 14, 2004 01:04pm

In last night's Soph boys game, I had another first (aside from my very first fight.) First, a recap. I had V Monday night on their home court, and then Tuesday night at a third school. (The third time was not a charm.) Monday, I'm U, and watching the jump, I notice (late) that H1 tips the ball on the way up. Before I process what happened (and unswallow the whistle), we're under the basket and H2 is getting a bucket and one. I kicked the call, and I knew it.
Tuesday, I'm R so I don't see. Besides, players don't seem to time my toss well (something I need to work on, probably), so I doubt if they hit it on the way up.
Friday, I'm U again and watching for the violation this time. Sure enough, V1 (previously H1) tips it on the way up and I blow the whistle and we start with a throw in rather than a jump.
Half time- Vistitors' book asks me what the deal was on the jump, and I explain that it's a violation to hit the ball before it peaks. Find out there that the kids have been trying to do that all year. Not sure if that was coached or not, but I just affirmed it was a violation and we moved on.

Adam

golfdesigner Sat Feb 14, 2004 02:48pm

Get it Quick

Had Boys JV Wed, get ready to start game, heard JV coach tell A1 to "get it quick", I am U half expected A1 to try to get it on the way up, sure enough, no sooner out of R's hand and A1 slaps it toward his basket. Tweet, got it early, B's ball...then heard coach say "not that quick"...

Only time all year so far that I had one get it sooooo early.

Damian Sat Feb 14, 2004 03:47pm

On sub varsity games, I remind them

On sub varsity games, after I say Blue and point and White and point. I enter the circle, and tell the two jumpers that I am throwing it high, let it come down.

Seems to work.

HoosierBuckeye Ref Sat Feb 14, 2004 08:01pm

Just to clarify...

Since I have never had this situation before, if the ball is tipped on the way up, it is a violation. If A1 tips it on the way up, B gets the ball (at half court?) and the arrow would point in which direction? (A?) Thanks.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 14, 2004 09:23pm

Re: Just to clarify...

Quote:

Originally posted by HoosierBuckeye Ref
Since I have never had this situation before, if the ball is tipped on the way up, it is a violation. If A1 tips it on the way up, B gets the ball (at half court?) and the arrow would point in which direction? (A?) Thanks.
Yes.

ChuckElias Sat Feb 14, 2004 09:46pm

Re: On sub varsity games, I remind them

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
On sub varsity games, after I say Blue and point and White and point. I enter the circle, and tell the two jumpers that I am throwing it high, let it come down.

Seems to work.

I say the same thing in my varsity games. BTW, called the jump violation last Saturday in my college game. Didn't really want to call it b/c I was U2, but it was obvious and partner didn't have it.

mplagrow Sat Feb 14, 2004 09:57pm

It's coached sometimes

I actually was reffing a preseason V/JV scrimmage day, and the coaches had some liberty on the floor. One coach that day actually came outright and asked me to throw it so he could show his player how to 'cheat' the toss! He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and grinned, told his player it was illegal but was never going to be called! Fortunately his player wasn't brass enough to do it right there!

footlocker Sun Feb 15, 2004 04:19am

I always try and suprise the jumpers with my toss because I don't want it stolen on the way up. Remember, were reffing from the moment we arrive. Calling back the toss for whatever reason is the most missed call in my opinion. I remember when I was the U in my first year just trying to make sure that I ran the correct direction after the toss.

Ballen Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by footlocker
I always try and suprise the jumpers with my toss because I don't want it stolen on the way up. Remember, were reffing from the moment we arrive. Calling back the toss for whatever reason is the most missed call in my opinion. I remember when I was the U in my first year just trying to make sure that I ran the correct direction after the toss.
I agree! I've missed this numerous times as I'm thinking "white to the right". I like the mechanic of reminding the jumpers and then tossing after a dribble or two. I'm adding this to my game and paying more attention from the U.

Thanks...I'm a better official today. Gotta go get ready for todays games.

footlocker Sun Feb 15, 2004 04:22pm

It wasn't long before I added a dribble or two. Far fewer tosses are stolen that way.

rainmaker Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by footlocker
It wasn't long before I added a dribble or two. Far fewer tosses are stolen that way.
Interesting idea. Any clue why it works?