The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

This isn't a complaint...really...just a question. And, forgive me, I don't know how the rotation works for three man, and don't know the terminology, so overlook my errors there, if you would.

For purposes of this question, assume I'm standing behind the scorer's table. The trail (?) is administering a throw-in at A's defensive endline after the ball goes out of bounds. The ref is on the far side of the lefthand basket. The ball is inbounded by A1 to the far side of the court, and the inbounder clears out. The person who receives the pass, A2, makes it about halfway to the midcourt line, when the ball is stolen by B1. B1 makes a beeline for the basket, with A2 keeping stride. B1 jumps to shoot, and A2 hits...well, it doesn't matter what, because that leads to my question.

The former trail (who is now the lead?) ends up on the endline, behind the two players (i.e., the players are between the basket and the ref). When B1 jumps and A2 tries to stop B1, any contact made or not made would be hard to spot from the ref's vantage point.

I'm just curious, I guess. Do you have a "rule" or standard you follow in positioning in such a case? With things happening so quickly, I'm sure its hard to always be in the right spot. I guess, it seems like the official should try to maneuver, if possible, to be on the opposite side of the basket as A2/B1 in such a case.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Do you have a "rule" or standard you follow in positioning in such a case? I guess, it seems like the official should try to maneuver, if possible, to be on the opposite side of the basket as A2/B1 in such a case.
Coach, I'm having a hard time visualizing the play as you describe it, so I'm going to ignore your play and just talk in generalities.

The main "rule" in officiating is "See the whole play". That means see both players, and the space between them, and the ball from the beginning of the play to its end. Piece of cake, right?

In general, this means that it is more important to have a good angle on a play than it is to be in a certain spot. Generally, we don't want the official to call "across the paint". It's pretty common practice (especially in 3-whistle) for the call to come from the official who is on the same side as the ball. It's easier for that official to get "the angle" on the play than it is for the official opposite the play.

Obviously, there will be occasions where another official has a better view than the primary official. (The most notable exception is a play where the post player spins away from the Lead official, and toward the C, on his/her way to the basket.) But for the most part, we want the closest official to make the call; and that official will almost always be on the "ball-side" of the basket.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like a quick transition

From what you described, there was a mid court press and a turnover. The trail probably needed to let the players pass or could not get back in front of them, so he had to get a good angle to see the play.

Sometimes, the Center official can give a backup if he has not gotten too far down the court.