The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Team A has the ball and shoots a three point shot. A1 extends both arms and pushes B1 as the ball is in the air.
I'm the lead and call the foul at that point. Ball doesn't go in. B ball.

Any thoughts about waiting to call the foul until the ball comes off the rim or goes in to see if A1 or B1 will have an opportunity to rebound the ball.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hbioteach
Team A has the ball and shoots a three point shot. A1 extends both arms and pushes B1 as the ball is in the air.
I'm the lead and call the foul at that point. Ball doesn't go in. B ball.

Any thoughts about waiting to call the foul until the ball comes off the rim or goes in to see if A1 or B1 will have an opportunity to rebound the ball.
Yes -- in general you should wait (the "bigger" the push, the les you shuold wait.)

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Why would you wait. This is a foul on the offense, which results in an immediate dead ball. If the foul occurred during the shot, the result of the shot counts, but isn't the foul still enforced?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red
Why would you wait. This is a foul on the offense, which results in an immediate dead ball. If the foul occurred during the shot, the result of the shot counts, but isn't the foul still enforced?
If it's a foul, then yes it's enforced.

I disagree that it's necessarily a foul.

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

no waiting (in my opinion).....from your description, this 'foul' definitely was rough play.......delaying/not calling is going to promote more rough play!

example: you don't call it, A1 gets rebound, B1 then hammers A1........not a good situation to be in (for you as an official)

Don't get me wrong a patient whistle is something we always talk about, in the right situattion, but definitely NOT when rough play is involved, as the way I interpeted your play!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bob here.

Hold the whistle. If it does not affect the play nail it. We could call stuff all day long. Bob said it himself the "bigger" the push the less you wait. This should cut out violent play.

Example: Let's say defensive player B1 makes the push on A1 (even rough), Meanwhile A2 is rebounding and making a put back. You blow the whistle for the foul. Hasty? I think so. You call requires you to waive off the good basket by A2 thus hurting Team A. Was that call good for the game? No. If it is really violent then come up intentional and give A two shots and the ball. Otherwise it is prudent to wait and watch the play.

Besides, even if I end up no calling because the rebound went the other way, I can still go up to A1 and tell him to cut it out.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I call that foul each time.
wedickinson hit it on the nose.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

You were lead and there was a Three point shot? I hope he was in your corner???

Always call the obvious. If they can see the push off call it...
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red
This is a foul on the offense, which results in an immediate dead ball.
I have been surprised this year by how many veteran referees believe that statement. It is only true if the foul by the offense is a player control foul. Otherwise, the ball does not become dead until the try ends. Please read the dead ball rule which is rule 6-7 (read the exception too).

Z