The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

NF - Book change question....

We're passed the deadline on a JV game by about a minute. I am still at the table BSing with the timer when the Home coach approaches and says "I'd like to add a couple guys to the book from the freshman team." I said "coach, we're passed the deadline but you can buy them in later with a T if you need em." Then I said...tell you what....if the visitors doesn't care, i dont." So we ask the visitors and their coach says, "heck, I forgot a couple freshman too, I am glad you are asking". So, I say, ok guys....gentlemen's agreement, we'll add for both teams without penalty. Now I'm going to walk over here and when I come back at 2:00 to go, all book adjusting will be done."

Everyone was happy, no one was disadvantged and we had a great game. Commmon sense right?

I posed this scenario to a "tenured old guy" and he suggested that this type of scenario could get me in trouble if the either of the coaches went back on their word and decided to hang me on it.

I suppose I could have said...ok...double team techs. Add a team foul to each team and we'll start the game as planned....with a jump.

I know this was JV and no one cares....Varsity....College....how would you handle?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Often the book cannot be ready on time anyway

I agree with your game management skills. Lots of time, the JV time is just after another game and it takes a miracle to have the books ready according to the rule book. Good job.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Follow up Question.....would you have employed this tactic in a varsity contest?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what you did in your situation, and would do it that way also if possible. In a varsity I would not, with the following conditions. At the gym I am working at this saturday, there are 2 high schools that use it. They play one varsity game followed by the other. If the first one happens to run late, they sometimes only put 10 minutes up on the clock and go. So we have to adjust our conference timing etc accordingly. After the book has been presented as final I would not allow the addition without the T...but in the above scenario, the 10 minute mark is kind of null and void..IMHO
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

In a varsity game I would never allow this. In any lower level game, as long as both coaches are OK with it, I will always allow it. IMHO, you did a good job managing the game.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Still considering varsity play...We all make it a point to count the number of players on the scoresheet and compare to the number of players warming up.

If a coach has a good idea that a player will eventually show up (maybe 1 minute before game time or even 1 minute after the game starts), can a coach have that player listed on the scoresheet prior to the player in the gym?

If not, then in other words, all late players can not play unless they buy them in with a 'T'. Is this accurate?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion...in the book....good to go. What if they were in the locker room getting retaped?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

If you see 9 players warming up, and 10 in the book, you ask the coach "where's your tenth?"
Coach replies "I think he is on his way. His mom is bringing him and should be here by second quarter." Do you allow this? If so then coaches should really never have to add players to the book. Just list all 'possible' players.
Is there a direct rule against this.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'll be the only one to disagree. What if..... the other coach did his job by making the book correct before the 10 min. mark. You have no right to put him in a position to decide if; A) I say no problem, but inside I think this sucks, why don't you as the official do your job. B) No, you will abide by the rule, and make me feel like the bad guy. Now the coach is wondering if the official is going to take it out on my team. I have no problem with giving a T. The coach has responsibilities, and this is one of them. Also, this lets the coach know he/she can trust you.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bart, in JV, I haven't got much of a problem with it. At varsity level, I agree with you. No choice here.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
If you see 9 players warming up, and 10 in the book, you ask the coach "where's your tenth?"
Coach replies "I think he is on his way. His mom is bringing him and should be here by second quarter." Do you allow this? If so then coaches should really never have to add players to the book. Just list all 'possible' players.
Is there a direct rule against this.
No rule against listing all possible players. It's the smart thing to do. All I do is make sure there are at least as many names as players. I only get concerned if there are more players than names.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't the JV level prep for the varsity level? This is where the coaches, players, and officials learn.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Isn't the JV level prep for the varsity level? This is where the coaches, players, and officials learn.
Good point. I'd take this one by situation, to be honest.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

confession

I have to admit I had a game this year that should have started out with shots rather than a jump ball. Partner and I are standing at the table and hear H coach walk to the book and indicate he has to change the starters. About 90 seconds left before game time. P and I walk away shaking our heads. Freshman boys. We should have probably called it, but we ignored it.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Both coaches really love it and are happy when I tell the scorer that I do not want to know about book problems. If a number is wrong, fix it. My explanation to them is that the game is for the kids, and that they are not going to penalized because of the ineptitude of an adult who can't get the book fixed correctly.

Yes, I know that this is contrary to any accepted principle anywhere. But I also know that when I was at the state tournament that all officials were told to not concern themselves with any book problems. If it is ok at the top of the food chain, then should it not be ok at the bottom of the hill?

I am not advocating that people here necessarily go out and do this. The book must be correct in all of my college games, and I have given Ts for it not being ready on time.