The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In light of a couple of recent threads (Juulie's first fight, post-whistle wrestling matches, increasing contact in post play), I was wondering if Bob would re-post his excellent explanation of how to administer penalties in the event of a fight. It was probably a couple years ago now, but I remember a very clear post that Bob made about who gets what kind of T, when indirects are charged to the coach, what gets shot, etc. I think that it would be helpful to put all that info on the forum again (even though we hope we won't need it).

Do you think you could dust that one off, Bob?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck I don't know for sure if this is it, but I did copy and paste this from this board to my brief case for future reference.

CK

Divide the participants into four categories:
A) Players on the floor who fight
B) Bench personnel who leave, but do not fight
C) Bench personnel who leave and fight
D) (Head) Coach who leaves the bench (by rule it matters not whether he fights or not; in practice if he doesn't fight, I'm considering him / her to be "beckoned")
Treat each category separately:
A) Flagrant foul for each participant; team foul for each participant; one "T to be shot" for each participant; no indirects
B) Flagrant foul for each; team foul for each; one "T to be shot" for whichever side has the fewest in this category (zero if the sides are even); one indirect, no matter how many in this category
C) Flagrant foul for each; team foul for each; one "T to be shot" for each; one indirect for each
D) Flagrant foul for each; team foul for each; one "T to be shot" for each; no indirects (since it's a direct T).
Eject all the flagrant fouls; add up all the team fouls and put them in the books; record all the indirects (EJ if >=3).
Add up all the "T to be shot" for each team. Offset what you can. Shoot the rest (if any).
Arrow if they all offset. Ball to team that shoots any free throws.
Spend rest of evening writing the report.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

This is also very well detailed in #8 of the Summary of Penalties for All Fouls on pages 67 and 68 of the 2003-4 NFHS Rules Book.