The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Enthusiastic Table" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12178-enthusiastic-table.html)

The whistle Mon Feb 09, 2004 02:28pm

How do you handle the person operating the clock/scoreboard or the Official book who, when a foul is reported to the table against the Home Team, makes a objectionable gesture but doesn't make a verbal comment? Happened in the second half of a Varsity game to both myself and my Partner. Person would shake their head or roll their eyes on calls that would go against the Home Team. It was a very close game, lead changed hands several times in the second half with the Home Team winning by 3 at the end. Didn't have a single problem with either Coach. We didn't do anything about the situation during the game but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do. Comments??

Smitty Mon Feb 09, 2004 02:36pm

I'd have a little private chat with that person reminding them that they are an impartial official of the game and could not do that while in that role. Then if they persisted, I would have them replaced.

oatmealqueen Mon Feb 09, 2004 02:43pm

I'd also let game management know that I didn't appreciate the theatrics from the table, and then ask for them to be removed if they kept it up.

Smitty Mon Feb 09, 2004 03:13pm

I actually had this happen to me once in California. The official scorekeeper was cheering quite emphatically for the home team and when I made calls she didn't like, as I was reporting she would start complaining verbally that I was wrong. I had a bunch of "chats" with her telling her she wasn't allowed to cheer or question my calls since she was an official of the game. She disagreed but stopped for the rest of the way. I did tell her I could replace her and I believe her reply was "no you can't". Gee I miss that place...

Nevadaref Tue Feb 10, 2004 04:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
I actually had this happen to me once in California. The official scorekeeper was cheering quite emphatically for the home team and when I made calls she didn't like, as I was reporting she would start complaining verbally that I was wrong. I had a bunch of "chats" with her telling her she wasn't allowed to cheer or question my calls since she was an official of the game. She disagreed but stopped for the rest of the way. I did tell her I could replace her and I believe her reply was "no you can't". Gee I miss that place...
This usually happens when the scorer is the wife of the coach of the home team! :)

dblref Tue Feb 10, 2004 06:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
This usually happens when the scorer is the wife of the coach of the home team! :)

Was doing the clock in a GV game about 3 years ago when this scenario happened. Scorer was the wife of the home coach. Foul was called and when the official reported it to the table, the scorer folded her arms across her chest and refused to record it because she disagreed with the call. Official told her she had to record it and if she continued with the comments, she would be replaced. She replied, "That wasn't a foul, and do you know who I am?" Official replied, "Yes I do, you are the lady that is going to watch the rest of the game from the hall way. Take a hike". Scorer looks at her husband and asks if he is going to do anything about this. He told her the only he was going to do is try to win the game. Would not have wanted to be in their house later on.

Damian Tue Feb 10, 2004 02:00pm

Also happens when coaches switch between games

I had a situation where the V coach kept book during JV game and JV coach kept book during V game. During the V game, I call a travel on a poor attempt at a jump stop. I hear a loud "NO" coming from the table. Then during the next timeout, she is telling me that I don't know what a jump stop is and shold learn about it. This is the same coach that was telling me she could have 3 offensive players lined up for lane spaces if the defense didn't take them and also told her players to step on the line to keep a dribbler from going around her.

I helped her out during her game and told her of the rule changes that she had not learned. But while she was keeping the book, I told her she needed to be quiet as she is an official. She kept it in a little from there, but still didn't have a clue on most of the rules.