The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

That was my motto for this season. Deal well with coaches, listen more, and try my best to not call technical fouls. That left with :37 to go in the 3rd quarter tonight. Boy's JV, visiting coach yelling for a foul. Stop sign and "that's enough coach." Then the magic words..."your f*cking ignorant." Whistle, signal, go administer two shots. At least he was quite the rest of the night. A side note to the story is that after the technical foul, I didn't have to remind him to sit. He had a broken foot and never stood.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

The technical foul is a tool we have. If a situation needs it, don't hesitate to use it.

At a camp, i was told by an evaluator, "If you regret not calling a technical foul, then you should've called it."

THis season i've had very few regrets. (don't worry, they were all warranted )
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:29am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
That was my motto for this season. Deal well with coaches, listen more, and try my best to not call technical fouls. That left with :37 to go in the 3rd quarter tonight. Boy's JV, visiting coach yelling for a foul. Stop sign and "that's enough coach." Then the magic words..."your f*cking ignorant." Whistle, signal, go administer two shots. At least he was quite the rest of the night. A side note to the story is that after the technical foul, I didn't have to remind him to sit. He had a broken foot and never stood.

I know that I should not be asking this question, but when the coach dropped the F-bomb why didn't you charge him with a flagrant technical foul for vulgar conduct instead of the techncial foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. From your post, I think that this is a classic example of a flagrant technical foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

I know that I should not be asking this question, but when the coach dropped the F-bomb why didn't you charge him with a flagrant technical foul for vulgar conduct instead of the techncial foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. From your post, I think that this is a classic example of a flagrant technical foul.
Mark, I think it is a reflection on our changing society. Right wrong or indifferent, most people view the F bomb as nothing more then an inappropriate word, myself included. I wouldn't toss a coach just because the F bomb was dropped, to me "that was the same f***ing play at the other end" is no different than "That was the same Go* D**ned play at the other end" now FU is a little different, or maybe even you are F***ing ignorant, otherwise the F word is just that an F word...IMHO
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Mark,

I understand your thoughts on the use of the f word. But I agree with cmathews, to me, it is just part of our society. Even the FCC has now stated that it can be used on network tv in "artistic" ways. The coach wasn't going nuts, he was sitting right by where I was. He didn't scream, yell, or try to be a behind. He just said it. I called the foul and we went on. He was better the rest of the game and his team actually played better as well.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Though i agree--it is a sad comment on our society
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

You bet it is!

You bet it's a sad comment on our society, where within the last 20 years, you couldn't say *$$ or b!+¢h on television, and now we're discussing how language is meaningless and the f-bomb artisitic!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:43pm
Administrator

I am sorry if I sound a little cranky, I do not intend to sound cranky but, it is so wonderful to see so many people who are willing to give up on requiring good manners in their games. I agree that it is a sad commentary on our society that there are some people that think an F-bomb is nothing more than an unsportsmanlike conduct; but the rules are quite specific that vulgar conduct is a flagrant technical foul.

Yes, lack of good manners and lack of civility is a problem in our society. But I refuse to surrender to those who would not practice good manners or civility.

And I am sorry to say that those who throw up their hands and say there is nothing that they can do are about the lack of civility and good manners are part of the problem if they are not part of the solution.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Thought I'd share this story - seems appropriate. I call foul on a kid. His teammate starts flappin his jaws. I told very quietly to let me do the officiating and get ready for the free throws. Walked away- I hear my partner jokingly tell the kid - I'd leave him alone he's in a bad mood. I reported the foul. Jogged back to trail the kid turns around and says "That really wasnt a foul." WHACK- I gave him his warning - my partner even gave him a formal warning. Coach said... I'll sub him as I was reporting the tech. So i said come on in sub. As the kid walked infront of me he looked me striaght in the eye and mouthed m***** f***** at me. I stuck him again. His dad came charging out of the stands across the court and let him have it. Grabbed him by the jersey apologized to me and walked him right out of the gym giving him a speech on cursing and repsecting. Quite an interesting chain of events if you ask me. Finds out kid was coming off a one game suspension. One coach told me I demanded too much respect from the players. I said I'm sorry you feel that way and walked off. But Sportsmanship is a BIG thing to me. I dunno why but I feel like the NBA has had TOO much influence on high school/middle school basketball unfortunatly. The younger they get, the more respect I require. I've mentioned to a coach that he might wanna talk to #XX before he gets in trouble and the coach usually subs him next ball... Thats my grace. If I have another problem with the kid consider him t'd up.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
..."your f*cking ignorant."
Axe Man,

He just said 'F you' and that you were ignorant. He just combined the two. Flagrant hardly gets anymore flagrant than that. IMO.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I'm with MTD and David on this one. Part of normal speech or part of our society is a bunch of crap! This is a FLAGRANT T in my book and there will be no warning just a calm, "grap your crutches, coach, you're outta here!" Dang, more paperwork to the state.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

That situation is as flagrant as it gets, anyone who would say something like that to a basketball official during a game should not only get booted, but face the heat from their bosses. It is entirely inappropriate and it sets a terrible example. If you give a coach only the T for that, what type of behavior is that allowing the players to get away with? Using that word when describing a call warrents a T, but when used in a personal context it's flagrant.

I absolutely agree with the belief that if you feel regret for not giving the T, then you should have done it. Technicals are basically just like every other foul and they're a part of the game. I'm not combative, nor do I give a lot of T's, but the failure to call a T can easily lead to the loss of game control.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His dad came charging out of the stands across the court and let him have it. Grabbed him by the jersey apologized to me and walked him right out of the gym giving him a speech on cursing and repsecting.
Will you get the name and address of Dad? I'd like to send him a gift cert. at a good resturant.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
His dad came charging out of the stands across the court and let him have it. Grabbed him by the jersey apologized to me and walked him right out of the gym giving him a speech on cursing and repsecting.
Will you get the name and address of Dad? I'd like to send him a gift cert. at a good resturant.
That was me, Bart. I'll e-mail you my address. Btw, if I can get a free meal out of it, I'll get my kid to curse out an official every week.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Funny JR.