The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

For a throw-in on the endline, do you guys bounce the ball from one side of the free throw lane to a player standing on the other side of the free throw lane? NFHS
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

You never bounce the ball across the key on a throw-in. The administering official is always placed on the same side of the key as the thrower-in. This is an NCAA mechanic.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Ref18-->

Is that an NCAA men's mechanic? I've been to a couple of women's NCAA camps where a bounce across the lane is allowed in the backcourt if there is no ball pressure.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

The reason I am asking is that it seems to be a "new mechanic" expected of high school referees who are actually women's college refs. Or, should I say, high school refs who work with women's college refs (doing high school games). I have been specifically instructed that the HS mechanic is for the ref to go to the spot where the ball went OOB (make player stand where you are), and your partner will adjust (Trail will go opposite). The "theory" is that by bouncing across the lane, you will not "force" your partner to painstakingly adjust to the other side. I take exception to deviating from the proper HS mechanic. If my partner (or myself) can't walk/jog/saunter to the other side of the court, he shouldn't be reffing a HS game.
If two college refs are working together and want to use college mechanics, fine. But in a HS game with a HS partner, strictly HS mechanics should be used, IMO.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

I never bounce the ball across the key. Lots of officials around here do it, but when I am the "R", we don't. If you look in the NFHS official's manual, you do not see any example of the ball being bounced across the key.

Z
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

In Illinois, the Head Clinician/Interpreter for the state association wants an official to "bounce" the ball to the player during administeration on sideline (even to start a quarter). NEVER bounce the ball to a player while on the end-line in the frontcourt or backcourt. This is the NFHS mechanic.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:10pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
NEVER bounce the ball to a player while on the end-line in the frontcourt or backcourt. This is the NFHS mechanic.
Jeff, are you sure this is the mechanic even if you are going the length of the court?
You know what is worst? I see guys bouncing the ball when they are on the same side of the basket and they are staying in the front court on the end line! What's that all about? I cringe everytime I see this.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
NEVER bounce the ball to a player while on the end-line in the frontcourt or backcourt. This is the NFHS mechanic.
Jeff, are you sure this is the mechanic even if you are going the length of the court?
You know what is worst? I see guys bouncing the ball when they are on the same side of the basket and they are staying in the front court on the end line! What's that all about? I cringe everytime I see this.
I was just wondering this point myself. I have seen many Officials handing ball off for a throw in on the endline, in the front/backcourt, standing between the basket and player.

That new positioning this year or somethin'?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
I was just wondering this point myself. I have seen many Officials handing ball off for a throw in on the endline, in the front/backcourt, standing between the basket and player.

That new positioning this year or somethin'?
I was taught never to have my "a** to the glass" in NFHS games.

That was a college mechanic.

Also...nothing wrong with bouncing the ball on the endline when it is in the backcourt.

[Edited by RookieDude on Feb 7th, 2004 at 11:55 AM]
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
[B
Also...nothing wrong with bouncing the ball on the endline when it is in the backcourt.
[/B]
That wasn't the question - I don't think anyone would dispute that. The question was if it's OK to bounce it across the key in backcourt.

Z
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
[B
That wasn't the question - I don't think anyone would dispute that. The question was if it's OK to bounce it across the key in backcourt.

Z [/B]
If I'm not mistaken, you quoted the wrong person. ref18 is was the coulpret! I know I spelled that wrong. Spelling check please!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NEVER bounce the ball to a player while on the end-line in the frontcourt or backcourt. This is the NFHS mechanic
I stated there is nothing wrong with bouncing the ball on the end-line in the backcourt.
Mr. Z stated:

Am I missing something here...jeffpea didn't say anything about across the key...nine01c asked the question about bouncing across the key...and of course that is not the correct mechanic for NFHS.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of my pet peeves

I think it is just lazy for officials to do this. I go over this pre-game because it keeps happening. Even if it is in the backcourt. If I am trail getting ready to go to lead and I see the ball go out of bounds. I start moving to get in position.

Then, my partner does one of these bounce passes across the lane and I am out of position. Most of the time, I see it coming and of course they never give me eye contact before placing the ball in play, so I am trying to get back across the court to keep the players boxed in.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

NFHS mechanics: 2 person
According to 218 page 30 the administering official shall be outside the thrower for all throw-in on either end line. So bouncing across is not acceptable if you wish to follow the precise mechanics.

220 on page 31 states that the administering official shall hand or bounce the ball to the thrower. It continues that a bounce is recommended on the side line and handing is recommended on the end line in the front court.

NFHS mechanics: 3 person
332 page 62 says the same thing as 220 on page 31

Diagrams 47-54 on pages 65-68 show the proper positions for the officials during the various throw-ins. According to these diagrams the administer official is always on the same side of the lane as the thrower and does not bounce across even in the backcourt. Note that according to the text at the bottom of page 67 the Lead official has the option of being between the thrower and the basket or between the thrower and the sideline.

All that said, my association commonly bounces the ball across in the backcourt in both 2 and 3, but never in the frontcourt. We don't care about handing or bouncing on the side lines or end lines.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: This is one of my pet peeves

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
I think it is just lazy for officials to do this.
Up till a few years ago, it was "lazy" for the Lead to administer a throw-in on his/her sideline below the FT line. We were supposed to switch. Well, now that lazy practice is the approved mechanic.

Bouncing across the lane is not about being lazy. It's just about what is accepted and approved. NBA officials bounce the ball across the lane; and I'm real sure those guys (as well as Ms. Palmer) are not lazy.

In your HS and NCAAM games, don't bounce across the lane. Do it according to the accepted mechanic. But don't be surprised if the accepted mechanic changes someday and you become lazy