The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ref Shoes needed ....quickly (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12121-ref-shoes-needed-quickly.html)

WeekendRef Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:16pm

Does anyone have any idea where I can get a pair of shoes, that would be considered part of the uniform, in a pinch ? I am asking if Foot Locker / Sports Authority (Or a similar place) carry anything that is close to being "official" . I know there are varius websites from where I can order but I need these for tonight/tomorrow . Any suggestions are welcome (Suggestions for the shoes, that is)
Thanks

zebraman Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:22pm

I have seen black referee shoes in many sporting goods stores. Make a few phone calls.

Z

Snake~eyes Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:23pm

I own some black nikes that are from Sports Authority, I don't know if they'll have them but they have a lot of black shoes, you should try there.

WeekendRef Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:30pm

Sorry to be so naive but are any all black sneakers OK or is there a specific brand /style I should try to get ? I don't want to offend the other ref I am working with....

RecRef Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:31pm

Have a Kohl's in your area?

As for shoes some like NB's 608s/609s, I hate them. My number 1 shoe is the Reebok DMX shoes. It's your feet...

tomegun Fri Feb 06, 2004 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RecRef
Have a Kohl's in your area?

As for shoes some like NB's 608s/609s, I hate them. My number 1 shoe is the Reebok DMX shoes. It's your feet...

I agree, it's your feet. I would get something just to get by now and then do some research and testing to find something that works best for you.

sleebo Fri Feb 06, 2004 01:12pm

Generally, any all black running shoes, cross trainers, basketball shoes, etc. are acceptable. I've never worn them but I've seen alot of folks in my association wearing the New balance 608/609's. If you are going to be doing a bunch of games, you'll want to make sure that you get shoes that are comfortable. Also, if you really want to impress people, get you some sort of shoe shine so look spiffy and dressed to impressed on the court!

Smitty Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by sleebo
Generally, any all black running shoes, cross trainers, basketball shoes, etc. are acceptable. I've never worn them but I've seen alot of folks in my association wearing the New balance 608/609's. If you are going to be doing a bunch of games, you'll want to make sure that you get shoes that are comfortable. Also, if you really want to impress people, get you some sort of shoe shine so look spiffy and dressed to impressed on the court!
I have never shined my shoes. Probably never will. I like the way they look naturally. Like the belted pants, are shiny shoes a thing of the past or do people really still care? I'm guessing it varies by location. Discuss.

zebraman Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty

Discuss.

LOL Smitty. You crack me up.
I think it's a personal preference. I like the shiny shoes but I don't like spending every night shining em' up so I just bought the patent leather ones. As long as an official's shoes are black and clean, I don't care whether or not they can see their reflection in them.

Z

MN 3 Sport Ref Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:

Originally posted by sleebo
I have never shined my shoes. Probably never will. I like the way they look naturally. Like the belted pants, are shiny shoes a thing of the past or do people really still care? I'm guessing it varies by location. Discuss.

It depends what you want to do and where you want to go. Watch TV and you will be able to see your portrait in every pair of officials shoes on the floor. Myself, Working HS and lower level college ball I think the apperance of shined shoes looks sharp as does beltless pleated slacks and a tailored shirt. Your appearance gives everyone a preconsieved notion of the job you do IMO. If you are working lower levelHS/rec ball your shoes are probably not as important unless these games are being used to advance or you have a desire to do so.

Smitty Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:28pm

Thanks for the kudos, zebraman. I have just always found really shiny ref shoes look kinda weird. It just seems wrong to be running around on a basketball court with really shiny shoes. Just my personal thoughts. I know a lot of great varsity guys shine 'em up. I haven't heard my association chairman mention it and he's seen me work twice. Not sure what I'd do if I was told to get to the next level I'd have to have shiny shoes. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

thumpferee Fri Feb 06, 2004 03:25pm

http://www.theofficialschoice.com

Patent leather Nike's.

Look Great, Feel Great, Call Great!

Get a size larger though, they run small.

Great price for the Quality & durability, they don't crack. Had them for a year now!

I sound like a salesman.

Mregor Fri Feb 06, 2004 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee

Patent leather Nike's.

errr, Converse?

thumpferee Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee

Patent leather Nike's.

errr, Converse?

Yeh, you're right, DUH! And I was wearing them at the time I posted. Tx for correction Mregor.

One-Whistle Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:32pm

WeekendRef

I speculate that you have found a pair of shoes already, but if not....

You can find "nearly" all black shoes at Walmart (Dr. Scholls). If you want to make the shoes all-black you can use a black marker or black spray paint to cover "non-black" areas.

I have used this method in a pinch.