The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In a game a year ago, my partner, who was the R, assessed a techincal foul to the home team, because the book person had changed a player's number in the book after the game started. We didn't discover it until the end of the first quarter when the visiting book person came to us and told us what happened. We looked at the home book, and sure enough, it was obvious that she had erased the 10 and written a 4 over the top. She was furious and called her husband on her cell phone, and then loudly protested to us, joined by a chorus of spectators, that "my husband is a ref, and he says you're not supposed to give a T for this, and you're cheating us. He's gonna report you to Howard." Well, we shouldn't have given the T because it wasn't discovered when it happened. But if we'd been thinking, we would have made the V book the official book and thus removed her standing at least. Incidentally, the number needed to be changed because the player's mother had forgotten to put the uniform in the car that morning. Guess who the mother was? The book person! Sheez...

This week, I was at that school again, and there she was at the table. My partner was the R, and when he went to inspect the book, she said to him (he told me later), "So is she going to give us another technical today?" It's a good thing I didn't hear her. I'd have said, "Not if you don't cheat today!" How much does anyone want to bet the husband didn't ever tell Howard that his wife was cheating?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
This week, I was at that school again, and there she was at the table. My partner was the R, and when he went to inspect the book, she said to him (he told me later), "So is she going to give us another technical today?" It's a good thing I didn't hear her. I'd have said, "Not if you don't cheat today!" How much does anyone want to bet the husband didn't ever tell Howard that his wife was cheating?
No, you should have replaced her IMMEDIATELY.