The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

What a deal!

High School JV girls. In the first half, Team B is advancing the ball near the division line. One of Team A's players has stopped near her bench, apparently to tell the coach about some relatively minor injury. Team B's coach took it upon himself to call for a timeout, which I granted. He then told me the other team had an injured player - that's why he called for the timeout. I looked for somebody lying on the floor. There was no such person. I said that was very gracious of him, and charged the timeout. He became visibly, but not unacceptably, displeased, and - even though we had already wasted 30 seconds with the issue while he absorbed the reality - I gave him the full timeout time. A pretty good analogy for what happened would be 'some guy offers to buy someone else lunch, then gets bent out of shape when the waiter presents the bill'. As gracious as the coach's actions were, they were equally presumptuous. If he had wanted to stop action (a la soccer), he could have instructed his player to pick up her dribble, or to throw the ball out of bounds. Instead, he chose to, in effect, attempt to usurp the officials' judgment and authority.

That was the semi-sane part of the game. Some minutes into the second half, Team A's athletic director (site manager, A is the home team) who is doing the 30-second clock, informs me that Team B has no coach. We had, apparently, been playing for several minutes without a coach on Team B's bench. I asked Team B team where the coach was. They said he had gone to the locker room with the varsity. (Team B had shown up with only the varsity coach for both teams). I told the fans we were experiencing a TV timeout. The coach was retrieved. I considered what penalty or penalties might properly apply. At an absolute minimum, under 10-5-1 & 10-5-2, surely the coach had earned a T for leaving (by perhaps record distance!) the coach's box.

But here's where it got tricky. If he were to get another T, both the JV and Varsity games would be forfeit - on senior night for Team A. Considering that, and his previous attempt at sporting behavior, and despite his egregious violation of State Association rules, the penalty for which seemed to me properly the business of his school system or the State Association, I had the ball put back in play.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Just curious, but why did neither you or your partner not notice that team B did not have a coach on the bench?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Regardless, imo, (and you were there, and would know the "feeling of the game,") but I'd T him up; maybe the next 'senior night' he decides to 'earn' a T and then leave the game (not to mention being short handed in the coaching staff--on senior night) he'll know better, eh?

...for thoughts...
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
But here's where it got tricky. If he were to get another T, both the JV and Varsity games would be forfeit - on senior night for Team A.
Just curious, do you have the authority to eject the coach from the varsity contest? I beleive that is something that your State association would dictate.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't charge a T for the coach leaving the bench (under almost any similar circumstances), and I would have looked for a way to not call / charge the TO, once it was clear what it was for. Good sportsmanship is to be rewarded, not penalized.

Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I missed this point too

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
But here's where it got tricky. If he were to get another T, both the JV and Varsity games would be forfeit - on senior night for Team A.
Just curious, do you have the authority to eject the coach from the varsity contest? I beleive that is something that your State association would dictate.
Are you implying that if he's ejected from the JV game, he's automatically out for the V game? Is that true?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: I missed this point too

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Are you implying that if he's ejected from the JV game, he's automatically out for the V game? Is that true?
In some states, that's true. It's a state-by-state issue.

Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing. The "T" for leaving the coaches box is intended to be used to control a coach who is wandering up and down the sidelines.... not for being stupid and leaving the floor.

Z
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Here in CT if the coach is ejected he would have to miss every contest up to and including the next Varsity contest. Meaning if he were chucked from a JV and there was a freshman and JV contest before the next varsity contest he has to sit out all 3.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
if he were chucked from a JV
Might happen, but I don't do a lot of JV games. . .
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I'd say that the coach had to urgently use the restroom!