The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   53 years as an official!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12077-53-years-official.html)

BigDave Wed Feb 04, 2004 08:28pm

I had the pleasure last night of working with a guy in our association that has been officiating basketball for 53 years. He's 76 and still moves pretty well. We had a girls varsity game and he did just fine. A true legend in the state of Arizona.

Anyone else out there have some old-timers still pounding the hardwood?

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:17pm

JR?

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:23pm

In our association, we have a guy that i believe has 51 or 52 years under his belt. Unfortunately, he hung up his uniform this year, but he still is a very active member in our association.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
In our association, we have a guy that i believe has 51 or 52 years under his belt. Unfortunately, he hung up his uniform this year, but he still is a very active member in our association.
Do tell....

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:30pm

Our Vice President, Jim Lyle

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:33pm

Did you ever meet Kitch?

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:36pm

No i never met Kitch. He passed on before i started officiating.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:41pm

I thought that might have been the case.

You know someone had earned respect when people from around the province wear a memorial badge on their black CABO jacket.

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:43pm

Wow!! I never heard about the patch.

Although on another note, I find it wierd that my board STRONGLY discourages the wearing of a CABO jacket. The only warm up jacket that we are allowed to wear is a black jacket with the HBABO crest on it.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:49pm

It was a small circular patch, about the size of a toonie that said "KITCH" in yellow letters.

Hmm... HBABO eh? I wonder if they are the only board that does that.

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:54pm

i'm not sure of you got it but

HBABO=Hamilton Board of Approved Basketball Officials

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
i'm not sure of you got it but

HBABO=Hamilton Board of Approved Basketball Officials

I've reffed with many of your colleagues. In fact, (at least) one of them is a published author.

I went to Phil Bova's camp with two of your officials.

And I ref fb with Mickelboro and Skinny.

ref18 Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:03pm

Cool.

Who knows, maybe someday we'll work a game together.

dblref Thu Feb 05, 2004 08:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by BigDave
I had the pleasure last night of working with a guy in our association that has been officiating basketball for 53 years. He's 76 and still moves pretty well. We had a girls varsity game and he did just fine. A true legend in the state of Arizona.

Anyone else out there have some old-timers still pounding the hardwood?

Haven't been pounding the hardwood for a lot of years (10), but I will be 61 in May and still working at it. I hope I can still walk at 76! This guy must have had really good "court prescence".

jcarter Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:25am

We have a Gentleman in our association, I believe he is 77 years old. He officiates baseball, basketball, volleyball, football and softball. He hung up his patches last season but was still officiating at the highest level of high school. I believe it was last year that he was invited to work games at the little league world series.

Hes a top notch official and to him it is all about the kids.