The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Question

I coach in a rec league (girls 11-13) that requires us coaches to ref other games in our league. Many of the coaches balk at the requirement (they're sort of tricked into it), but I actually like it.

I'm scheduled to ref a game this Saturday involving a coach who I'm told has instructed his players to intimidate the ball handler coming across half court by running at her, arms up and waving, and making a lot of sudden, startling noise. To me, an untrained ref, this sounds like noise that serves no basketball purpose (no communication value). It's just calculated to intimidate.

Is this kind of intimidation illegal? If I'm prepared to prevent it or penalize it, is it a T? Should I warn the coach before the game so he can rescind his instructions to his players?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Not illegal unless the league makes it illegal. Kind of like the "BALL BALL BALL" or yelling at someone from behind while they are on a layup. Is not a legitamate tactic, but there isn't a rule that I know of that disallows it. However, I'd be on the lookout for any contact as a result of the waving arms. That coach needs to figure out in his own mind why he is coaching. What ever happened to teaching kids to play defense with their feet?

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Hmmmm. IMO this is best handled by the opposing coach -
"Hey Janey, when the other player rushes at you and starts waving her arms & yelling simply dribble around her if you can or pass the ball to Mary who'll be waiting by the sideline."

I'm not recommending this but if you're inclined to...errrr....help little Janey you can simply look for and call any contact when this happens. I would not T this. I would not speak to the coach beforehand.

Reffing rec league ball is NOT for the faint of heart
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW
I coach in a rec league (girls 11-13) that requires us coaches to ref other games in our league. Many of the coaches balk at the requirement (they're sort of tricked into it), but I actually like it.

I'm scheduled to ref a game this Saturday involving a coach who I'm told has instructed his players to intimidate the ball handler coming across half court by running at her, arms up and waving, and making a lot of sudden, startling noise. To me, an untrained ref, this sounds like noise that serves no basketball purpose (no communication value). It's just calculated to intimidate.

Is this kind of intimidation illegal? If I'm prepared to prevent it or penalize it, is it a T? Should I warn the coach before the game so he can rescind his instructions to his players?
Under NFHS Rules, the only thing I can refer you too is
Rule 10-3-ART 8,b or c

b-Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.
c-Baiting or taunting an opponent.

If their saying, get her left, get her to the right, take it take it, I see nothing wrong with that. If their saying you can't handle the pressure, you can't dribble, then I would say Unsporting Act, T!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

As I see the actions you're describing, I think your use of the word "intimidate" is a little harsh although it is not necessarily against the rules to intimidate. If so, we would have to ask the big, mean looking centers to stand out of the paint so the guards wouldn't be so scared to take it to the hoop.

If they are not threatening physical harm, using profanity or speaking in an unsportsmanlike way towards their opponent, they get to make all the noises they want (no matter how annoying it is to us refs).

The noises don't have to be communicative. They are being used to distract and confuse their opponent which is what a defense is supposed to do.

Ignore it.