The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cell Phone (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12070-cell-phone.html)

dolamroth21 Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:01pm

Team A's coach is talking on a cell phone to a fan behind Team B's bench who is watching and listening to what B's coach is saying during a timeout. What is the best way to handle this situation?

Adam Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:08pm

Coach, thanks for the new cell phone.

mick Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by dolamroth21
Team A's coach is talking on a cell phone to a fan behind Team B's bench who is watching and listening to what B's coach is saying during a timeout. What is the best way to handle this situation?
Tell Coach B.
Warn Coach A.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:49pm

Quote:

Technical foul for using "electronic transmission devices" (or some words to that effect -- I'm away from my rule book).

TriggerMN Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:51pm

No question this is a T, if there's no question that's who he is actually talking to.

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 04, 2004 04:53pm

Quote:

You have 2 choices. Warn the coach to dump the cellphone, or give team A(not the coach) an immediate technical foul under rule 10-1-3- i.e. "use...electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes'.

Hawks Coach Wed Feb 04, 2004 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Tell Coach B.
Warn Coach A.

T Coach A.
Tell Coach B.
Have game management move fan A.
If fan A won't move, have game management remove fan A.

Mregor Wed Feb 04, 2004 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Tell Coach B.
Warn Coach A.

T Coach A.
Tell Coach B.
Have game management move fan A.
If fan A won't move, have game management remove fan A.

Oh My, the world is coming to an end. I agree with Hawks Coach. What's next? Agree with Rut who stole my tagline? :D

Mregor

MN 3 Sport Ref Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:25pm

There is a beautiful illustration of what you should do on page 72 of the Fed's simplified and illustrated (10.1.3) I might also consider having the fan removed or at least moved to a different area of the stands.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
I might also consider having the fan removed or at least moved to a different area of the stands.

I'd have the fan shot for being a spy.

Dan_ref Thu Feb 05, 2004 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I might also consider having the fan removed or at least moved to a different area of the stands.

What, skip the torture?

http://www.chourave.ch/serials/spysm...er-torture.jpg

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 05, 2004 01:52pm

Quote:

Eject both, 2 shots and the ball.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 05, 2004 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

What, skip the torture?

Good idea!! We'll make him watch a couple of your games before we shoot him.

Dan_ref Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:36pm

Quote:

What, skip the torture?

Good idea!! We'll make him watch a couple of your games before we shoot him. [/B][/QUOTE]

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/just...speechless.jpg

BTW, I sent you a jpg earlier today, kinda applies to a certain coach who's been hanging around here lately, dontcha think?

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
BTW, I sent you a jpg earlier today, kinda applies to a certain coach who's been hanging around here lately, dontcha think?
[/B][/QUOTE]Definitely! I've got a gif that's appropriate too, but I'd probably have my a$$ thrown outa here 5 minutes after I posted it. :D