The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Step out of bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12055-step-out-bounds.html)

co2ice Wed Feb 04, 2004 08:53am

Need to know if I got this sits right last night. Girls J.V. A1 is advancing the ball into the front court when B1 and B2 try to trap her as she enters the front court. A1 begins to lose her balance and pushes the ball ahead beyond the reach of B1 or B2, steps obo, regains her balance and returns to the court and rgains posssion and continues her dribble. It appeared to me she did this intentionally and definatley gained an advantage by so doing. I called A1 ob and gave the ball to B. Was I right?
Also in this game we had a 30 minute delay while the paramedics were called and a team A player was strapped to a back board and taken to the hospital after a train wreck in the key where I was the lead. Yes I did call a foul! Hopefully shes okay I do plan to call the school and find out today.

BigJoe Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:04am

This would have been a traveling violation as you can't pass the ball to yourself.

mick Wed Feb 04, 2004 09:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by BigJoe
This would have been a traveling violation as you can't pass the ball to yourself.
A1 did not stop dribbling, she dribbled the ball through the defenders. ;)
There's another rule for that.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by co2ice
A1 begins to lose her balance and pushes the ball ahead beyond the reach of B1 or B2, steps obo, regains her balance and returns to the court and rgains posssion and continues her dribble.

If you judged it to be a dribble, and not an interrupted dribbe, you were correct.

Mregor Wed Feb 04, 2004 02:33pm

Some here are not going to agree with this, but that is their right. Here is my interpretation:

If she had not ended her dribble, throwing the ball to the floor is part of the dribble. The support is in the CB 7.1.1 Sit D. However, this is where I have a problem with this. Per 9-3, a dribbler is considered OOB even if they are not touching the ball. This directly contradicts the CB 7.1.1 Sit D(b) ruling. I've brought this up in various venues and can't get a logical explanation as to why. So your call is as good as any and strictly by the rule, I'd say they were OOB when they returned and continued the dribble per 9-3. Fortunately, this hasn't come up for me on the court so I've been lucky in that respect. Remember, if there is a difference between the CB and Rule book, the rule book takes precedence.

Mregor

TPS2859 Wed Feb 04, 2004 02:46pm

Tell me if I'm wrong, but a player can go out of bounds and then inbound only in a loose ball situation. This didnt sound like a loose ball, but more like she pushed the ball upcourt and took more than the required steps to regain the ball. Yes, no, maybe?

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 04, 2004 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mregor
Remember, if there is a difference between the CB and Rule book, the rule book takes precedence.

Whaaaa? :confused:

mick Wed Feb 04, 2004 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Remember, if there is a difference between the CB and Rule book, the rule book takes precedence.

In my bidness, the more detail takes precedence.
Thus, if I had to choose, I would choose the Case Book.

However, the one with pictures is easier to color.

Ricejock Wed Feb 04, 2004 03:29pm

If a player intentionally goes out of bounce and returns, isn't that a T. I will have to look this up at work in the morning, I don't have my books here.

Jeff

MN 3 Sport Ref Wed Feb 04, 2004 03:36pm

I think we had a huge thread about this last year. Somebody will find it.

Mregor Wed Feb 04, 2004 05:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

I swear that I've read it somewhere, can't place it exactly. Something to the affect that the CB is not edited as frequently even though it is printed annually. Of course it could be a local thing, but I'd have to search through 3 states, AZ, SD, and WI. Has no one else ever heard that?

Mregor

Mregor Wed Feb 04, 2004 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
I think we had a huge thread about this last year. Somebody will find it.
Sure did and I didn't agree then either. I don't remember the exact details, I have a very good memory, but short :). No where was I going with this?...

Mregor

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 04, 2004 05:30pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I swear that I've read it somewhere, can't place it exactly. Something to the affect that the CB is not edited as frequently even though it is printed annually. Of course it could be a local thing, but I'd have to search through 3 states, AZ, SD, and WI. Has no one else ever heard that?

The case book <b>is</b> a rule book. Says so right on it's first page. In the general information on the next page, it says "The interpretations and rulings for all play situations have been approved by the rules committee and are official". Basically, the casebook is a collection of official rules interpretations, and is designed as a supplement to the main rule book.

Sven Wed Feb 04, 2004 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ricejock
If a player intentionally goes out of bounce...

Jeff

Jeff,

Just a friendly reminder as to the R's responsibilities:

Always make sure players are fully inflated before tip off. ;)

Mregor Wed Feb 04, 2004 06:16pm

Quote:

[
[/B]
The case book <b>is</b> a rule book. Says so right on it's first page. In the general information on the next page, it says "The interpretations and rulings for all play situations have been approved by the rules committee and are official". Basically, the casebook is a collection of official rules interpretations, and is designed as a supplement to the main rule book. [/B][/QUOTE]

It is <b>not</b> a rule book. It is a supplement to the Rule Book. It interprets the Rules in the Rule Book. Anytime you have more than one source, there can be conflict between the two. Once again, my memory is really good but it is short and I can't recall where I've heard it since I've worked in 3 different states. Heck, I could be wrong but that's what I understood.

Mregor