The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have a question, I would like to know, what is box-out? We used to hear it from the coach. How is the legal way for a player to do it and when it becomes illegal for the referee to call it?

I’ll be thankful for your reply.

Regards,

jrref53
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You have already mastered the most important part of the rules which is that there are legal and illegal ways of doing everything. Making the distinction is crucial Great job!

As to the details, when boxing out means taking a legal position on the floor such that an opponent cant get to where s/he wants to get to, that's legal.

When boxing out means moving someone from one spot on the floor to some other spot on the floor, that's illegal. The magic word is "displacement". If the opponent is displaced, you've committed a foul.

Isn't that simple?

The complicated part is that the ref may not always call it everytime it happens, because sometimes there are other considerations that must be made. But if you get away with a couple, it's about time to stop, because your "luck" is running out fast. If your opponent is displacing you and the ref isn't calling it, you should ask politely (and ask once only), "Could you please watch the displacement on the box out?" If that doesn't work, find a different rebounding strategy, and hope you get a better ref next game.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Not only will you find this on the rebound, but also the shooter is often displaced after the shot.

As rainmaker had said, it's all about displacement.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
"Could you please watch the displacement on the box out?"
I might just lose it completely if a player worded a request this way.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

never see it called,
B runs into the shooter
hard with a "Box Out"

[Edited by vincebradford'sboy71 on Feb 4th, 2004 at 12:13 PM]
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

It happens after shooter releases ball, defender steps up, turns to "box out" then backs up offensive player a few or more steps. (pushes player from his established spot)
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vincebradford'sboy71
never see it called,
B runs into the shooter
hard with a "Box Out"

[Edited by vincebradford'sboy71 on Feb 4th, 2004 at 12:13 PM]
I've called it as have several of my partners in the last week. We've probably called 6 of these in my last 4 games. The problem is that the players don't seem to understand that boxing out does not allow them move players out of the way. They figure if they have their back turned it can't possibly be a foul on them.

I just explain that using your butt to move the defender out of the way is the same as using your arms.

Grail
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

True dadt

Grail, nicely explained
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool NCAA womens

In college women the players trying to box out on free throws from the lowest lane space were getting "walked under" by others and it was called a no call and now they have now discarded that lane space. In my humble opinion this is where I see the most displacement in a game that we as officials fail to address. In NCAA men's "you have to be a man" to try and hold your ground on a free throw or you will not have a prayer!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest, this is one of the most difficult areas to call, because this is where the most physical pushing occurs. B is usually inside A and putting a lot of back pressure to maintain some rebounding position, A is working to get around B, usually in a very physical fashion. Only the most egregious displacement gets called in my experieince, and that's how it should be.

As for boxing out legally, the most common problem is not usually displacement. It is lack of foot movement to maintain inside position, necessitating use of the arm to restrict an opponent's movements. When a player is inside and gets the foul, it is frequently for holding an opponent and preventing him from moving past because the inside player didn't move to maintain position.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
"Could you please watch the displacement on the box out?"
I hope you're joking! Said politely, with no rancor, this sentence and its variations should be completely acceptable from any player. I always give the standard response, "Thank you, we're watching." And then I do. Once in a while they're right, and I'm missing something, and they've done me a favor. Occasionally, it's their team that ends up getting the foul, but at least I'm doing my job. How could this possibly be a reason to lose it?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
I hope you're joking! Said politely, with no rancor, this sentence and its variations should be completely acceptable from any player.
Juulie, I don't think footlocker is saying that he'd take offense or "lose" his temper. I think he's saying that the possibility of a player being literate enough to use those exact words would fry his brain.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

juulie
I first thought what you did. But where I come from, lose it also means to just bust a gut laughing because you are caught completely by surprise by something. Upon further review, I think this is what he meant.