The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Would you ever consider a cell phone to be an artificial noisemaker? Like when its cool ring tones get tested out during FTs? Happened to me tonight. The culprit only did it twice, but what if it persists? Thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say that if you can tell that they're deliberately making it go off during a FT, it is an artificial noisemaker and should be dealt with appropriatly.

I had a situation where after every one of her son's team's baskets, she would do the whistle where you put the two fingers in your mouth and blow. It sounded so much like my FOX40 that we had game management get rid of her, because she persisted with it after warnings. How would you guys handle the situation??
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
It sounded so much like my FOX40...
I find that a little hard to believe.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'm serious, i was in shock at first, because i thought my partner had stopped play, and i was looking at him, and he must've thought the same thing, because he was giving me the same look. Then the next time that team scored we figured out what it was, and took some action.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Does the age old phrase, "Let things come to you...don't go looking for trouble", apply here? I'm just thinking that it would have to happen 3-4 times before I'd even think about doing something. And it would have to be only on one end. Even then, I'd feel like a butthead going up to the administrator and asking him to confiscate a cell phone! The spirit of the rule seems to me that we get the big things...horns, cowbells, whistles, drums, maybe even milk juggs full of gravel...but personally speaking, it's a basketball game...not a library! The louder the better IMHO!

BTW--I can set my phone on the loudest setting and vibrate...be in a gym watching a game, and miss 3 calls! Are we talking about 7th grade B girls game?
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
Does the age old phrase, "Let things come to you...don't go looking for trouble", apply here?

I would think so, yes.

Quote:
I'm just thinking that it would have to happen 3-4 times before I'd even think about doing something.

It happened twice, on two consecutive trips to the FT line. First time, I figured it was coincidence; second time got me thinking.

Quote:
And it would have to be only on one end.
That part's right; just one end, twice in a row.

Quote:
Even then, I'd feel like a butthead going up to the administrator and asking him to confiscate a cell phone!

This is exactly why I didn't do anything. I was glad that it was only twice, b/c I'm thinking in my head, "Am I really going to have to remove a cell phone?!?"

Quote:
BTW--I can set my phone on the loudest setting and vibrate...be in a gym watching a game, and miss 3 calls! Are we talking about 7th grade B girls game?
No. It was a small Christian school vs. a small technical school, played in an elementary school gym with room for about 20 spectators. The fans of the Christian school were all dead silent for both teams' FTs. So the phone was clearly audible.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Youre redeemed! LOL! Too Funny!!!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Artificial - absolutely. Although some people may seem like it, no one is born with a cell phone.

Would I go after it - probably not. Obviously, there's a larger effect in your smaller gym, but anything over 20 spectators, I'd probably say deal with it. (Well, not actually tell them that, but you know what I mean . . . LOL)

Of course, I've had games working the clock where someone has an airhorn and I haven't been able to hear it. Makes me a bit nervous for the whistles.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

pa system

We have one local school that allows a guy to pretend that he is Chick Hearn reincarnated. He sits next to the official scorer and very loudly announces the baskets by the home team. For example, he will comment, "Johnson, FOR THREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!" When the opponents score he quietly states, "Roberts, two point basket." I believe that the decibel level on the PA system is excessive when the home team scores. I have not worked a game in this gym so far, but watched my friend work one last evening. I was wondering about the application of the artificial noisemaker rule to this announcer. I must say that it is so loud after the home team scores that it hurt my ears and I am sure that the visiting team would be unable to communicate while trying to in-bound the ball.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B}No. It was a small Christian school vs. a small technical school, played in an elementary school gym with room for about 20 spectators. The fans of the Christian school were all dead silent for both teams' FTs. So the phone was clearly audible. [/B]
Oooooohhh those damn technical school fans!

Howzabout after the first FT you innocently say "If that's my bookie tell him I'll call him at halftime."
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:01pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Iowa had some reports of cell phones "intentionally" going off during free throws. Not sure if it was the girls association or the boys, but they came down with a ruling that referees are authorized to tell game administration to annouce all cell phones off if it becomes a problem. I can just picture the entire crowd turning off cell phones at the same time they hear the announcement.